My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, October 23, 2009

Vulture

Far be it that I don't introduce ALL the creatures that show up at the Pond!

This morning was a shocker... 3 Turkey Vulchers showed up!  I wondered what was dead and how big was it that 3 Vulchers should be so interested as to land on a rooftop here.

Eventually two of them came off the roof..

It seems all they wanted was something to drink.  I was relieved that no dead bodies were found!

This "cutie pie" even posed for me.  (I will never call the Wood Stork ugly again!!)  I have to say .. they are a rather LARGE bird!

..he will never win a beauty contest!  But hey..at my age it's kinda like looking in a wrinkled mirror! (mirror's ARE wrinkled right?)

8 Comments:

Blogger cj said...

Actually, they're better looking than I thought. You sure get a wide variety of visitors, don't you?

The most 'exotic' thing I've ever seen in my yard was a spike-horn deer one day.

cjh

7:35 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Wow, what great photos. I don't think I've ever seen a turkey vulture before.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

We used to see them when we stayed with our friends in Pittsburgh, groups of turkey vultures wandering round their yard. When you look at them you can see why they think birds are descended from dinosaurs.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Book pusher said...

Wow what a great range of wildlife you get and it's so cool that you record it.

6:03 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cj: well there are a number of vultures.. and i do think others are uglier than this one lol..

Kathleen.. probably my first time also.. even though I lived in fla 13 yrs once before I don't remember seeing any

Cath.. from what I hear they don't kill other animals, just eat the already dead. they must hunt a lot because they are big birds!

bookpusher. well.. lol, I didn't start out to do that it just happend.. lol

3:28 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I believe what you have there is a Black Vulture

Turkey vulture has the red colored skin on head... thus the term Turkey..

1:18 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi Pam.. ok the book I have shows the ADULT turkey vulture with a red head.. it shows Immature ones with this color head ..but it also shows black vultures with this head so I am not sure which this is.. I have heard them called turkey vultures in this area but I won't swear to it LOL

10:38 AM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

I think he is Beautiful! I guess I think that all things of nature are Beautiful...That design all over hios head and neck is AMAZING!

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home