My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, November 06, 2009

Mr Whicher and New(ish) Stuff

The Suspicions of Mr Whicher by Kate Summerscale

Paperback: 400 pages
Publisher: Walker & Company; Reprint edition (February 17, 2009)
ISBN-10: 080271742X

 

From Publishers Weekly

Starred Review. Summerscale (The Queen of Whale Cay) delivers a mesmerizing portrait of one of England's first detectives and the gruesome murder investigation that nearly destroyed him. In 1860, three-year-old Saville Kent was found murdered in the outdoor privy of his family's country estate. Local police scrambled for clues, but to no avail. Scotland Yard Det.-Insp. Jonathan Jack Whicher was called in and immediately suspected the unthinkable: someone in the Kent family killed Saville. Theories abounded as everyone from the nursemaid to Saville's father became a suspect. Whicher tirelessly pursued every lead and became convinced that Constance Kent, Saville's teenage half-sister, was the murderer, but with little evidence and no confession, the case went cold and Whicher returned to London, a broken man. Five years later, the killer came forward with a shocking account of the crime, leading to a sensational trial. Whicher is a fascinating hero, and readers will delight in following every lurid twist and turn in his investigation.

I really thought I would enjoy this book more than I did.  I'm guessing I'm into gothic mysteries but not so much into "detectives"(with the exception of Sherlock Holmes)..I enjoy things more like the 13th Tale and Drood.

The case was sad, being it was the murder of a small child.  Mr. Whicher was called in after the police did all their "investigation" and later it was felt that the police didn't try very hard to help Whicher when he investigated the crime. Add to that he was given a very short amount of time to try to solve the murder.

It was different knowing that this was about a real detective and that the murder was also real.. and it was a little strange to see references at times from Charles Dickens.. and yes, even Wilke Collins is mentioned! (it would seem I cannot rid myself of these two writers and their books!!)

Though I wouldn't call this book a favorite, that's not to say this didn't have it's interesting parts, it did!  At times I felt myself really getting into the story and then I'd float out again.. not sure why that was. 

This book wasn't a page turner for me..but as I said, it did have some interesting things about it.  I guess I'd say it was a good book.. just not one that when it was over I knew I'd want to read again sometime.

 

I've been awfully slow with reviews lately and haven't mentioned any "new" ones... so I thought I'd catch you up on that...

What you see here is actually pretty good for me!  Only two of them are new books from Amazon (Shadow Dragons by James A Owen and Syren by Angie Sage), one ( Magic & Malice: Mairelon the Magician/ Magicians Ward  by Patricia C. Wrede)  is a used book from Amazon, and the other 4 are from thrift shops at which I paid not over 1.00 for each of them!

The bad part is that I can't blame anyone for any of these!!!  I've been reading James A Owen's series from the beginning and the same with Angie Sage so they were "have to" buys... the rest were steals I couldn't resist, knowing I'd get to them sooner or later.. with my tbr pile so huge I am sure it will be Later!

6 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

Looks like you have a nice new pile of books to look forward to. I used to read Dean Koontz a lot and then just kind of burned out on his stuff.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Book pusher said...

Interesting review, this is a book I am interested in reading, quite a contrast after Drood but it sounds interesting and I seem to recall seeing a documentary at some time that mentioned this case but I can't remember the name, sorry. By the way I have been dropping in regularly to check out the pond photos, I just have been slack about commenting, but just want to say they are awesome.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Keep seeing this book in Waterstones and couldn't decide whether or not to buy it. Maybe one to get from the library if I see it there.

Nice book haul... always great to get cheap biographies!

6:36 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kathleen: i am not sure i will even like dean koontz but for 1.00 it's worth a try!

bookpusher: I really thought this would bode well with me after Drood and the others, to have a real mystery and a real detective, could be the author could have told it better, I don't really know. I wanted to really get into it but didn't

hey Cath: always good to get anything cheap! lol

6:02 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Oh no!! You're starting another series!! You do know that the Dean Koontz Odd Thomas series is quite a long one, right? :P though I think they can all be read as stand alones, lol. So glad you got the new James Owen!! I know that one made you happy!!

Isn't Mr. Whicher the one that Nymeth just reviewed? That one sounded good to me too? I might give it a try some day, but I have SO many books on the TBR pile right now that I don't need to worry about getting it right now :p

And thanks for the comment about my migraines. I'm doing much better today. You don't have to worry about me getting addicted to pain pills!! I make sure that my doctor gives me non-addictive pills. I detox people all the time on my drug unit, so I'm very careful with that. Not to mention there's a bunch of addiction in my family. I don't want to go down that road. It really is a bad path to go down. Love you Pat!!

2:47 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hey chris: yeah I know about Koontz but I think they are all separate cases so sorta stand alone. I don't think I will get that involved with Koontz but for 1.00 I will try him.. i have seen a few others at thrift stores so IF i do find I like him I can get some others for 1.00 also lol

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home