My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Shadow Dragons

The Shadow Dragons by James A Owen (author AND illustrator)

Hardcover: 432 pages
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing (October 27, 2009)
ISBN-10: 1416958797

Product Description

World War II has been raging for three years, but a more terrible evil is just over the horizon. The last stones are falling from the Keep of Time, and the Imperial Cartological Society, led by Richard Burton, has collected doors and is building a new tower at the request of an old enemy: the Winter King's shadow. He has a terrible weapon -- the Spear of Destiny -- that can be used to command the shadows of anyone it touches.

The Shadow King uses the Spear of Destiny to enlist an unstoppable army of Dragon shadows. And after the Archipelago falls, the Shadow King intends to use the turmoil of World War II to take over both worlds.

All the legendary Caretakers, past and present, come together to save two worlds, and their only hope lies with a small group of companions who are on the quest for the broken sword Caliburn: the Grail Child, Rose Dyson; her clockwork companion, the owl Archie; a dead professor of ancient literature; and the mythical knight Don Quixote.

About the Author

James A. Owen is the author and illustrator of the Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica. He is founder and executive director of Coppervale International, an art and design studio that also publishes the periodicals International Studio and Argosy Quarterly, develops television and film projects, and is redesigning an entire town, among other ventures. James has written and illustrated two dozen Starchild comics, the Mythworld series of novels (published in Germany and France), and more. He lives in Arizona.

            *************************************************

I'm not sure what it is I can tell you about this, the 4th book in the series of The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica:  The Shadow Dragons.

It's the 4th adventure for the Caretakes and each book introduces more and more characters of history, myth and fantasy.  By now James has it down to a science. Who he will use, why and when.. and with each introduction you feel as if an old friend has found his way back into your life.

Page 245 ..

"The king and queen sat opposite  Edgar Allan Poe at one end of the table; Charys, the centaur, sat between Mark Twain and Charles Dickens; Rillian, the unicorn mouse, sat on the table in front of Washington Irving; and Stephen, in full Golden Fleece regalia, sat next to his mother across from Geoffrey Chaucer.  The Valkyrie Laura Glue, her wings discreetly folded behind her, was standing behind John and Daniel De foe, and the improbable young Neo stood next to her; while the Elf King Eleir, the Dwarf leader, Falladay Finn, and several surly fauns stood behind the rest of the Caretakers.  It was, to put it simply, a remarkable group."

With the coming of this series James made himself one of those YA authors who's books I will not part with.  There will always be space in my heart for books such as James has written.  Be it that child part of me that wants to be like Peter Pan and never grow up, or the adult part of me that says, I am anyone and anywhere I want to be just by opening a book such as this.

By now anyone who reads my "reviews" knows that I don't actually review the book.. I leave that to others who are far better with words than I am and I defer to Amazons Product descriptions.. but I do let you know if I like a book and generally I think you know by what I write if I like it a lot or not.  And you also know it's rare that I suggest anyone read a book just because I enjoyed it.  This is one of those rare occasions.  If you are one who can enjoy YA books I DO suggest you pick up James A Owens first of this series: Here There Be Dragons, and begin a series of books that I certainly hope you all enjoy as much as I have enjoyed these books.

That being said:  I just want to thank James once again, for writing such enjoyable books and I want to wish him continued success with this series and others he will endeavor in the future!

Thanks James!

(below) Two of the many illustrations from Shadow Dragons: by James A Owen

6 Comments:

Anonymous Jenny said...

I love these illustrations! I'd never heard of this author before but now I will definitely be giving these books a try!

9:00 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

Sorry, Pat, I got to page 30 of book 2 recently and gave up because it was driving me crazy. LOL. Each to his own I suppose. Book one was fine but I think this is another series I'm not going to be continuing with. Shame.

11:34 AM  
Anonymous She said...

Ah! What amazing drawings!

12:46 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Is he up to book 4 already?! Sheesh!! I really need to get back to these. I've only read book one :/ I absolutely love the concept of these books and I think what I love more than anything are his illustrations. Aren't they amazing?!

2:05 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

jenny: before he "wrote" he did a comic book called star child..so art is is first love..at least I think it is lol

Cath: wow.. I wonder what drove you crazy..? I will have to pull out book 2 and read a few pages again to see lol.. it's ok..we can't like "everything" the same! (can we? lol)

She: yes, he's quite an artist!

Chris: maybe it didn't stick with you like some books do.. Ikinda like all the characters coming to life like that.. and this book had an illo for every chapter! so a lot of artwork in this last book.

6:39 PM  
Anonymous Childrens books said...

I just want to thank James once again, for writing such enjoyable books and I want to wish him continued success with this series and others he will endeavor in the future!

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home