My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Books I Read in 2009

This was not my best year for reading.  But I only mean that in the amount of how much I read.  It was not an easy year for me. .. but reading helped me get through it...  and so I thought I would try, along with showing my entire list, to make a small list of which books I enjoyed the most, and which ones were less then I expected..

I started the year off reading Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski.  Unfortunately I would put that one on the less then I expected list.  So, my year didn't begin on a high note!

 

(total word count 23,918)

I hadn't posted November or Decembers reads because it was not the greatest..below is the list for those months. (8 books/ 3323 pgs)

Books I Most Enjoyed: (in no particular order)

1.   All the Weyers of Pern by Anne McCaffrey. This was a reread but no matter how many times I read any of the Pern books they go right to the top of my favorite books list. I love the land that Anne made and really love the characters, and of course the wonderful dragons. I can honestly say she transports me there every time I reread one of her books.

2.  Godmother by Carolyn Turgeon.  This was a surprise to me.  I am not a fan of retold fairy tales of any sort but this was different. Somehow the author managed to crawl inside an old persons mind and wrote a great book from it. 

3.   The Language of Bees by Laurie R King.  A great addition to her series of  mystery books starring Mary Russell and her husband Sherlock Holmes. And happiness resides as I found out in April there will be yet another Mary Russell book coming out!

4.   The Sorceress by Michael Scott.  This was book 4 of an on going series concerning Nicholas Flamel.  I totally enjoy this series and each book is better than the last! There are many ya books that I enjoy but only a select few that I enjoy as much as I am enjoying this series of books.  I love how he mixes true names from history and his own characters.

5.  Dragons of the Hourglass Mage by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.  First off this is part of a large series of Dragonlance books, which I loved very much. Second, its about Raistlin, a mage you love to hate.. and unbeatable combination.

6.   A View From the Bridge by Nicholas Meyer. Part of an autobiography by a director/ writer who I admire very much, so it's hard not to like it. This tells of some of the stories he wrote and movies he directed including some of the BEST Star Trek movies of the original cast.

7.   The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield.  Another reread. I will only say I really love this book. This is the third reading of this book since Carl introduced me to it.  Since then I seem to compare all gothic mysteries to this book.

8.  Drood by Dan Simmons.  This was the shocker of the year for me. A book of fiction about Charles Dickens, his friend Wilke Collins and the book Mr Dickens was writing when he passed away.  Over 700 pages and I couldn't put it down!  I will reread this one day.  Because this is so well written I am going to try another by Dan Simmons, The Terror.

9.   Shadow in the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Another surprise mystery read that I found to be excellent!  This and his second book Angels Game were both really good mysteries.  I look forward to his next book and suspect it will be as good as these were.

10.   The Woman in White by Wilke Collins.  A classic book.  Something I never thought I'd read let alone enjoy.  A bit slow in the beginning but it picks up as it goes along.  Never in my life did I think I would read anything by Wilke Collins!  I thank Dan Simmons for that!

11.   A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.  I don't think this one needs any explanations.

 

Most Disappointing Books:

1.   Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski. I felt it was slow and there should have been more to it.

2.  Reality Leak by Joni Sensel.  Should have been fairly funny but it was a let down to me.

3.   The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.  Just not my thing I guess.

 

Favorite New Author:  (keyword: NEW) I must choose two authors, both being a great surprise to me.

Carlos Ruiz Zafon for Shadow of the Wind and Angels Game.

Dan Simmons for Drood.

 

Some books I am excited about reading in 2010.

1. The Necromancer by Michael Scott. It's not due out until May so I have a wait on that one!

...and then, because I have to cut way back on buying new books there are many in my tbr pile I really want to get to! These are in no particular order..

2.  The Name of the Wind   - Patrick Rothfuss

3.  The Magicians and Mrs Quent -Galen M Beckett

4. The Dark is Rising –(series)  Susan Cooper

5-  The Moonstone- Wilke Collins

6-  Great Expectations-Charles Dickens

7-  The Meaning of Night: a Confession –Michael Cox

8-  Rain Village –Carolyn Turgeon

.... and the list goes on!  But then I have a large tbr pile, so who knows what will get read?!  I also have a group of Autobiographies I want to get to and a few books about the original astronauts. Oh well, it's pretty safe to say some will get read!

I hope everyone has a happy and healthy New Year fill with laughter and wonderful books to read!! 

Happy 2010 everyone!

 

 

17 Comments:

Blogger Nymeth said...

Happy 2010, Pat! Looks like you have some great reading lined up for the new year.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

You definitely read some awesome books this past year, several of which I either own and need to read or are on a list of books I want to buy or check out of the library.

Isn't it great when rereads are so rewarding? I'm glad that you have such a lifelong love for the Pern series. I feel the same way about the Stainless Steel Rat books. Though they aren't everyone's thing, every time I read them I am transported back to my childhood and remember just why I love SF so much.

I'm also thrilled that you've come to love Thirteenth Tale so much. I simply must reread that one.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Molly said...

I think you had a marvelous reading year! You have such a nice variety of book genres.

I hope you have a wonderful, joyous New Year!

9:53 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

Well, it's a case of quality not quantity with your list this year, Pat. There may not have been as many but what you did read was wonderful. I was particularly impressed with the number of gothic novels you read for this years RIP challenge - that was a stunning achievement and you have really inpsired me to read some of those books myself next year... starting with Drood. Lovely post.

10:12 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

nymeth: i look at the tbr shelves all the time wishing I could read them all at once! argh! lol

carl: i don't know what it is about the 13th tale but I find I really look for very similiar books and that's hard to do!

Thanks Molly Happy New Year to you too!.. I blame Carl for changing what I read! but it's a good blame!

Cath: I hope you like Drood when you get to it!.. I'm fine with my book count. I read a number of chunksters this year and really enjoyed them. I really don't go for numbers, I read at my own pace and that's that ..some years the books are smaller and the count goes up but over all this is fairly average for me

10:28 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

Happy New Year, Pat. I'll have to try to find some of the books on your best-of list. Some of them sound like books I would really enjoy!

10:30 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I enjoyed reading your list, as usual I copied some titles so I can see about getting them to read. I am doing something a little different this year, I am making a wish to read list not just reading what ever I get my hands on.
We had some rough times this year too and like you reading helped get me through it. Don't want to know what I would do with out books. Hope 2010 is a great year for you.

3:10 PM  
Blogger Daphne said...

Great lists! I meant to read Drood but didn't get around to it. However, I LOVED The Terror, absolutely loved it.

6:03 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Becky: happy new year to you too! I can't believe I read something that you haven't read! Looking forward to see what you read next year!

Barbara :nearly every book I've ever had was on a wish list at one time or another. Recently I even found some really good ones at thrift shops!

Daphne: OOOOooh glad to hear that!! I loved what he did with Drood. I would never have thought I would especially like a book about Dickens and Collins be it true or not but he sure got me interested!!

6:08 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

THE ALCHEMIST wasn't my thing either...

6:55 PM  
Anonymous She said...

The Thirteenth Tale was a good one wasn't it?

10:59 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I think you had an awesome year Pat!!! I think your biggest influence on me this year has been Dan Simmons, Charles Dickens and Wilkie Collins. I've always loved Dickens, but now I want to read more of him and I'm DYING to read some Dan Simmons now!! You know he has a new book coming out in 2010 as well ;) Sounds really good too!

2:20 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kelly: me either lol..

She: fersure! I know I haven't read it for the last time yet!

Chris: I have his new book on my wish list (not that I can buy it but so I won't forget about it).. I do have his book The Terror thats 784 pgs. I got it used (like new !!) for 7.00 including shipping when I bought it! I was shocked at how it looked new! it was listed as "good" condition!

2:35 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

2009 was a great reading year for you! I hope 2010 holds all kinds of wonderful reads for you too!

9:24 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Wow...not only did you read a lot of books, you read a lot of looooong books! That's one thing I did very little of last year, and I really sort of miss getting lost in a nice long tale.

Hope 2010 brings loads of wonderful reading...and loads of wonderful everything else as well!!!

6:53 PM  
OpenID josbookshelf said...

Hi, Pat! I purchased The Thirteenth Tale because of your and someone else's review. have listed it as one of the books to read this year.

I'll planning to read books by Carlos Zafon, also in your list.

Btw, you made me remember the Dragonlance books I used to read a long time ago when you mentioned Raistlin. I really liked this character and I enjoyed the series. Only after a while, I got confused about the chronology. I think I have to find where these books are. Would like to read them again.

6:10 AM  
OpenID josbookshelf said...

Hey, thanks for arranging the Drangonlance series for me at my blog. That will certainly clear everything up for me.

Btw, my email address is beadedventures@yahoo.com. I think I should edit my profile to include it. :)

2:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home