My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, January 04, 2010

Old & New at the Pond

When I walked my mile around the pond at 8 am it was 32 degrees outside!!!!

The birds knew it and were  hunkered down!  After my mile I grabbed my camera and made one last pass... I found Dead Eye and he wasn't moving..

Neither were these guys who were trying to hide out on the grass island..

Even the ducks weren't moving..

later things warmed up into the 50's and there was movement.  Mainly it was the ducks..but i did get a shot of ..it's either a Finch or a Warbler, I can't really tell which... they are very tiny.. move very fast, and hardly ever land where you can get a picture of one!..  I've been trying for weeks to get a photo!

...back to the ducks that were finally moving around even though it wasn't a whole lot warmer. (not complaining, just stating).

Then I noticed a small bird chasing the ducks... then swimming with the ducks.. then chasing the ducks!  My eyes being not 20/20 I  thought it was a Moorhen, but then the little bird would dive and swim underwater (Moorhens don't do that).  I got curious and went back out with my camera..but no matter which side I walked on all the ducks and the little bird moved to the opposite side!  (grrrrr) but I did get some snaps, just not "quality" ones..  So here's the new kid at the pond..

cute isn't he?..(he's small, about the same size as the Moorhens) note he doesn't take his eye off of me!

I had no idea what this bird was.. he swam with and chased the ducks and avoided me like the plague.

So I got out the bird book , not holding out much hope...

but I did find this.. and it may be the mysterious bird!

The line on the beak only appears on a breeding bird.

I'm pretty sure its a nonbreeding Pied-Billed Grebe! 

It looks like we have a New bird at the pond!!!

9 Comments:

Blogger Debi said...

OMG...your new little visitor is so stinkin' adorable!!!

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe you walked around the pond voluntarily when it was 32 degrees out. Those of us with sense and retired, rolled over in the bed and pulled the covers over the old head! To survive yesterday, had two cups of coffee, two cups of hot tea and went out for pizza for super after donning umpteen layers of clothing! Momcat09 and I absolutely hate the cold. It needs to stay up north.
The new peid billed grebe is a cutie. There are a lot of wrens in Floriday, but not sure if that little one is that species. They are pretty fast though. Vala3

4:28 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

What a cute little face the pied grebe has. Never seen anything like it. 32F huh? I'm sure you're *very* happy...

7:10 PM  
Blogger madcobug said...

So you are finally getting that cold weather you like. I had heard it was going to be cold in FL. It's really cold here also.Going to be 18┬║ tonight and 16 tomorrow night. Ken heard on the news it's going to get down to 9┬║this weekend. Snow is called for on Thursday and Fri. That still remains to be seen. That little pied grebe is so cute and has a lot of spunk and nerve.
Hugs, Helen

7:51 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

That little fellah is so cute!!! It was chilly here today!! Barely got out of the 30s! I can't wait for Friday :) The scheduled high is 36 degrees with a low of 25 degrees!! Can't believe that!! I'll be bundled in my afghan :)

10:47 PM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

32 degrees?!?! You're in a veritable heat wave there. I think if it suddenly went up to 32 here people would be outside in bikinis!

7:38 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

I love how they puff themselves up to keep warm....32...! Gee Whiz...It's Florida!
Sweet new Bird...He looks like a type of Duck to me, but I know nothing....lol!
LOVE the pictures, my dear!

12:17 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

debi: not sure the ducks think so when he chases them lol

sher: well sounds like we will keep the cold at nights for yet another week or so. I'll admit that walking to the chiropractor at 7:30 am I also get a wind chill factor with cars flying by me.

cath: sorta glad for the cold yes. extremes always carry a down side.. costs me when the elec. heat goes on (that's the downside) but I feel better when not sweating.

Hi Helen: well the temps are cold enough for snow here too! but we won't get that..when it rains it "warms up" enough that it won't ever happen.

chris: really happy that the afghan get used! remember to have mom take a pic of you with it on and email it to me!

carl: ummm on the news there are "snowbirds" down here that were in bathingsuits! idiots. It was actually "warmer" where they came from then it is here right now LOL

naomi: it won't last all that long. so I am glad for it. It is pretty extreme though which is why I caught a cold. but that's better now.

6:09 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

yellow rumped warbler. female.


I'd walk with you in 32 deg!

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home