My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

OMG! I had a Happy Bird Day Fersure!

My Girlfriend Dorothy took me to Ft. Pierce and the beach.. it wasn't exactly what I'd call "beach weather", but there were some people out there just the same.

There were hundreds of birds just sitting on the beach!!!

We kept looking at them and saying, "what's that bird?.. and that one?  ...and that one over there?"  So I came home and got the bird book!

I lived in Ft Pierce once before for 13 years and Dorothy has lived here for over 24 years and neither of us has seen these particular birds before!

Then on our way over the bridge I spotted Pelicans!! We made a fast turn and I got my camera out again...

(below: the hairdo reminds me of a Martin Short character!)

I finally got the Pelicans!!!!!!! I felt like I hit the Jackpot!!

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your bird pics. But the beach must have been cold. Though perhaps since you are further south, not as much. The Royal Terns are really cute. Remind me of Titmouse. And the Pelicans. Every time I see one I always think of the Ogden Nash poem..."How noble a bird is the pelican, It's beak hold more than it's belly can." Vala

4:04 PM  
Blogger Sheila Beaumont said...

I'm glad you had a fun Bird Day at the beach! I love the photos, especially the pelicans!

This has nothing to do with the birds, but I'll be reading Byatt's The Children's Book soon.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

wow... these are wonderful shots.
I've got to come visit.

Oh.. to see you, too of course. 9:

2:43 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

Great post, Pat, and I hope you had a nice trip out. You wouldn't see those terns here nor the skimmers - those are new to me. Pelicans! Oh gosh, pelicans... I tried to get photos of those when we were in North Carolina and I got one of them flying in the distance but you could hardly tell what they were. Your shots are what I wanted - they're amazing.

2:53 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Sher: oh wow I haven't heard that in years and years! I clearly forgot it!! lol I just missed someone cleaning fish so didn't get any shots of the pelicans with their mouth open. maybe next time.

Sheila: well that book is in my 112 tbr pile! But I will look forward to your thoughts on it for sure!

Pam: ah, right.. of course lol

Cath: during the 13 yrs I lived here before and now I've never seen any of those birds except for the "normal" seagull.. I hope I can get some photos sometime of the pelicans when someone is tossing fish to them.

6:36 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Those are some of the coolest freaking birds I've ever seen!!! Especially the black skimmer! I love the red on it's beak...I've never even seen those birds before! And look at that Royal Tern! It's beautiful :) And your pelicans are so awesome!!! They really are incredible birds, aren't they? And I think they know it ;)

12:14 PM  
Blogger Daphne said...

Terrific pictures! Isn't birding fun?

7:41 PM  
Blogger madcobug said...

Those are some great pictures of some beautiful birds. Of course I don't get to see any sea birds. Helen

10:24 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: yeah I have never seen a skimmer or tern before! and then to see a whole flock of each just sitting on the beach was awsome. The pelicans are neat birds! Funny, I've never been a bird person..I am more an "all animal" person, but birds and the ocassional squirrel are all I see down here. but as long as I can take pictures Its ok!

6:22 AM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

Ha! You are so right about the Martin Short hairdo! :)

8:10 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

carl: martin short is one of the all time great comics around!

8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home