My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, February 12, 2010

Redheads Have More Fun!

While doing my mile walk I heard a bird that I hadn't heard here before, and so I followed the sound, when suddenly a bird flew from one tree to another.  He was so quick I still couldn't tell what it was, but then I caught a glimpse of red!

I quickly ran in and grabbed my camera hoping he'd still be there when I came out.

The bird tried to remain illusive by continually going around to the "back of the tree" but I finally did get a few shots off before he flew away....

(I wonder what color red he uses for his "hair"?)

 

More birds at the pond...

Gulls! (but none posed for any photos so they aren't great shots)

It was so cool out (31 degrees ) that I came in and made yet another pot of chicken veggie soup!!

(how many veggies can you see??)

11 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

The woodpecker is fantastic. Similar to our lesser spotted woodpecker but I bet it's called something else over there.

And wow... it's actually *cold* there!

10:36 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: don't feel like dragging out the book right now lol.. "common name" is "red headed woodpecker" hahaha duh!
Yeah!!! good soup weather!

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well actually that bird is a red bellied woodpecker. If you note the small amount of red on the belly. It is a great pic, because usually you can't see the small belly patch. One used to hang off my bird feeder to eat. (Before the squirrels knocked it down.) There is also the pyelated woodpecker that is around this area. It is much bigger and you can hear them hammering against the trees. They are pretty as well.
So you like a bit of chicken with your veggies huh? That is some amount of veggies in there...so where's the soup. Vala

4:34 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Sher: oh neat I didn't know the name of the bird!! thanks!.. umm yes I do like my veggie/ chicken soup lol...I only use the chicken for flavor lol..well that's actually a lie.. the chicken is mostly for the cat and I eath the veggies and broth!

4:37 PM  
Blogger Sheila Beaumont said...

You took some great pictures as usual, especially of the woodpecker. I always enjoy your wildlife photos. Didn't count the veggies in the soup, but I bet it was delicious!

7:08 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

What a GORGEOUS Bird, Pat....He is really Beautiful. I have never seen one like him before....It has to be thrilling each time a new bird shows up---And it would be thrilling to me to see all the birds in your Pond!

12:45 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

sheila: glad you like the animal pics!! lets just say there were enough veggies that a spoonful of JUST broth us impossible!

Naomi: I wish you cold see the birds for real too!

6:05 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

All I can say is...mmmmmmmmm, that's the way I like my soup as well :D

8:42 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

good for you Kelly!!!

6:40 PM  
Blogger madcobug said...

Pat there is a pair that stays around here all the time. That is the male, the female doesn't have much red on her head. They sure can peck those trees hard running out any insects that may be hidden under the bark. Those pictures are great. That soup looks delicous. I tried counting the veggies and lost count LOL.
Hugs, Helen

7:30 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

limas, potato, celery, carrot, parsnip, broccoli, peas, onion, cabbage? hmmmm maybe not.

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home