My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, March 15, 2010

Caring for the Moorhens

Tom, my son...  trying to feed the Moorhens.  He has found out that if the Ibis are around it is almost impossible to get any bread to the Moorhens!

George and Gracie are such good parents!

 

...below they dare to follow mom! (they still haven't really left the tall grasses)

Five of the Seven..

Six of the Seven..

Seven of the Seven!!!

Right now the Moorhens trust nobody... not even the friendly Egret!  At least I think he's friendly! He seems to ignore them well enough !

addendum: I took these photo's last week before the storm hit that made the pond rise so much... George and Gracie now  have the babies out and about... but now there are only 5 babies.   This always makes me sad and I keep telling myself NOT to watch them...but I can't not watch them! argh!... also Tom has left from his time with me but still nearby in Florida.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has the water retreated any as yet? Our rain left by Saturday so got a lot of yard work done. Had to get rid of a ton of branches that had fallen. Of course after I did that, Sunday turned out to be even windier that the day before and a bunch more came down along with a lot of Spanish Moss.
Glad you and your son had some time to spend together. Always good to have some family bonding yes?

3:39 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

It is so hard to hear there are only 5 now. Nature has a way of just breaking our hearts, doesn't it"?

3:53 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi sher: the water has gone down somewhat but still not where it belongs.. hopefully it will get there soon.. the last 2 days have been very windy!

Kathleen: yeah it's so sad.. I walked the pond today and found them all on the other side of the pond I gave them bread and must have gotten "too close" and one of the babies started making all sorts of noises! LOL.. too darn cute!

3:58 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Nature can be so cruel. I wonder what takes them?

Btw, Carl's OUaT post is up!!!

7:55 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

That would make me very sad, too, Pat...And yet, I realize it is the way of Nature. Still....It is painful to know that two are gone.
Great pictures, as always.....I LOVE The Egret!
And your son Tom is a very handsome Dude, my dear!

3:29 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath: this time I do think it was the heavy rains.. though they always seem to swim they do come on land now and then and I think being so tiny they couldn't always "climb" to a higher reed ? Hawks and Osprays take them too but doubt they were out and about in the storm. The 5 are ok for now. I got a bit close giving the parents bread when one chick made lots of noise lol.. it was too cute

Thanks Naomi. and yes I know it's natures way which is also why the moorhens mate maybe 3 times a year!

6:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home