My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, March 04, 2010

Gulls, Herons & Fragments

Seagulls, once again, appeared out of nowhere to beg for bread!

None hovered or stood still for a photo so group shots were all I could get. The sure can screech loud! A few came so close and so low I was expecting them to take the bread out of my hand!

Over in the corner of the pond the large Heron kept his back to all the noise.

But a bit later he came out to the grass "island" that I lovingly call "Gilligans Island"

Hmmm, I wonder if Heron's blink?

It's been a quiet day at the pond.

***************************************

On a different note:.......

Fragments of My Mind ( what's left of it)

Some things have been racing through my mind lately..

One of them would sound like I am hard hearted but that would be a wrong assumption..

It deals with how easily and quickly our President (not just Obama but every President we've had)  offers all the help we can give, unconditionally, to any country in disaster .

On one had this is exactly what we all hope he would do.

On the other I find myself wondering if our Presidents really believes we can save the world from their disasters and needs when they can't even take care of their own here at home!

I know that sounds selfish.  And I would not change the fact that we reach out to help anyone in any country... but it does sit uncomfortably on my mind when we have so much poverty of our own.  We have so many disasters of our own ...  we need medical assistance for the young and the old where it doesn't take food from their mouths in order to get a life saving procedure, a test or a medicine that we may need to take for the rest of our life and costs as much as our rent or mortgage payment.

Do they truly believe America can reach out and save everyone when they can't take care of their own???

Sometimes I just wonder, ya know?.

The other thing that has been racing around in my pea brain is the damage others do to each other only using the power of speech.  We never know how anyone will act... we never really know how what we say can change a life.

When does it become correct for a teacher to tell a child, "you were an average student in 6th grade, you will always be an average student"...

Can a teacher know that it was said to someone who, instead of getting mad and trying to prove him wrong... thought him right and was defeated before they began...

Why does one person make a statement like that work for them and make them stronger, and another become defeated?

I have no idea why these things are on my mind at the moment.. but there you have it... even pea -brains can't shake everything.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

Wow, my kids and I were just talking about this last night. I told them that I believe we should always help where we can, but truly, charity begins at home. Down to it's most basic level. Once you can take care of your family, help your neighbors... your community..your state...your country...the world.

Words, once they leave your lips can never be taken back. When used carelessly they can cause great damage. But it is funny how you can say the same thing to two different people and they'll be effected entirely differently. I guess its just a matter of who's saying it and the mental strength of the person it's being said to.
Great topics Pat :D

7:30 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kelly: you said it better than I could!!

7:46 AM  
OpenID josbookshelf said...

It's funny how a consequence for one kid would work and completely be detrimental for another, even if both kids are siblings. I mean, they come from the same family background and gene pool, and yet each kid would react differently to the same action or words.

This other pea brain also can't really figure it out.

Now your question is what I shall pose at this weekend's coffee club talk with my friends. I'd like to hear what they have to say on this.

10:12 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

jo: Ohhhh well if anyone has anything to add I hope you do a post on it!!

10:17 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

That heron looks like it's wearing a cloak, doesn't it? Wonderful shot.

I don't know the answer to either of your ponderings, Pat, The old people's day centre where my mum used to go in Penzance has been in the news recently because they can't afford to keep it open. It's a life-line to many elderly people who wouldn't see anyone if they didn't go there a couple of days a week. My own mum used to love it. But they find money for all kinds of other crackpot stuff or to give to other countries as aid - *not* that I begrudge that if the gov of those countries are not feathering their own nests... which they sometimes are. A natural disaster is different maybe but I do know exactly what you mean and it's a hard question to answer.

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that perhaps in most people there is a natural inclination to reach out to help those that are in peril. Especially if it occurs suddenly, through no ones fault. Like seeing an accident or someone fall, I would hope that people would rush to help and that can be commonly seen in the news. When the news stories where the natural devastation is shown continuously. and one sees the effects, it makes for realization that help is needed immediately. So many of our problems are of the 'quiet desperation' times that do not make the news broadcasts and thus do not recieve the same attention. Doesn't make them less real. At least here we can chose to make a difference in the areas that we personally are familar with. And by helping in those areas whenever we can, I believe we are also helping ourselves.
And there are no 'pea brains'. Role models can be beneficial or harmful, but I still maintain that everyone has a worth and they need to believe that. Seen a lot of domestic abuse sufferers that are so beat down, they don't think they deserve any better. That is what conseling tries to override and make them see that they are worthy. Also I think that perhaps when someone tells you that you can't do something, Do it anyway.
Gads! Enough philosophizing.
Nice bird pics again.

3:50 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: I know.. I don't know the answers they just flash thru my mind sometimes..

Sher: oh the instant something happens most have the instint to step in and try to help.. I know it's a natural reaction.. it's just hard to watch the money go out and out and out and out and then the government turns and takes away from the homeland people and take away and take away.. I just get down sometimes and I guess this is how my mind switches on and off..

5:15 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

That Heron is just gorgeous...! Truly! And those are all WONDERFUL pictures, Pat. I love the movement of the Gulls...

God knows Obama is trying to help the people of this country with the Health Care Bill...and the Republicans--it seems to me---don't give a wit for 'the people' All they seem to care about is defeating Obama and getting back into power so they can continue to shove our country further down the Bush Drain....!

A teacher said to me back in Grade School, when refering to me as a student..."Why can't you be more like your sister Robin?" And as you can see, I never forgot it. Robin was an A+ student all the way up through college.....Not so, me. If I had not been so hurt and intimidated by what the teacher said, maybe I could have answered...'Because I am me and not her'. Some words can hurt for a very long time, I think

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home