My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

I Promised Carl a "good stuff" Post.

Books are always good stuff... therefore: This is a photo of the three books I sent for with my birthday Amazon gift cert.

Fablehaven by Brendon Mull (book 5) the final edition to a fun series.

The Bone Magician by F.E.Higgins I got this thanks to Becky who listed it as one of her possible reads for Once Upon a Time.

Secret of the Dragon by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. This is book 2 of a new trilogy from Dragonlance . When Weis and Hickman get together to write Dragonlance books, there are no better writers!

The books arrived today in the mail.. this is "good stuff".

I am admitting to you, that I am a pessimist and between that and depression, I don't see all the "good stuff" others see.  But when it's a big one.. well that's hard to NOT see.  .... and a few days ago I had "a big one".

As some of you know I am of an age where I have to doctor more then some.  I have herniated disks in my low back, a pinched nerve in my right shoulder that even the chiropractor doesn't seem to be able to get to, and sciatica problems on my left side... needless to say I live with pain all the time.. some days are worse than others.

So (as the story goes) I also have a bone in my right foot that began to hurt badly and I went to a foot doctor.  He said it's either deformed or a spur (top of my foot not the bottom).  He puts a needle into it filled with Cortizon and gave me a prescription to get Naproxen which is an anti-inflammatory med.  I got it and came home.  I am to take 2 pills a day..it was late in the day so I took the first pill.  By the time I went to bed nothing seemed to have changed.  Then it happened........

I fell asleep. ...and stayed asleep (something I never do).  When I woke I immediately noticed two things:  one was that I could tell I never moved all night long (also something that NEVER happens)  ..and the second was I thought I didn't feel pain.  I remained motionless.  I didn't want to move.  I couldn't remember the last time I didn't feel pain.

BooBoo finally made me move and I sat up.  I turned my neck back and forth, it creaked and cracked loudly as always.... but I didn't feel pain.

I stood up, and bent down to get socks.... and I didn't feel pain in my back!

I sat on the bed in the dark and cried.  It was a good hard cry.

The entire day I was pain free.  Something I haven't felt in 15 yrs!  It was a glorious day!  I was afraid for it to end.  ...but end it did.  The following 3 days the pain has returned but still not near as much as before.  I know when I go off of the anti-inflammatory meds it will come back...

It has been a double edged sword.   On one hand ..it was glorious!.. on the other it was only for a day and odds are it will never happen again... but I 'll take it!

That was a big "good stuff"..

A totally unexpected, good stuff...

My back is hurting again but the full pains are not back yet...and I still have a vivid memory of a whole day pain free....! 

I am already back to waking many times during the night and the sciatica paining whenever I lay down....I wonder why it helped it so much with one pill but then on 2 a day it's coming back slowly.?  Ah well..

So that's it Carl... that was a biggie for me!! I couldn't not see that it was "good stuff" even if I were blind!

From bigger then big.. to smaller then small...........

A tiny two finger stroke on the chest now and then...that has to be good stuff too!

17 Comments:

Blogger Carl V. said...

That is a true "biggie" and I'm glad you shared it with us. It is things like that which cannot go unnoticed.

I did have to scoff, in good nature, when you wrote on my blog that you don't see the small stuff. You are every bit as much of a "good stuff" blogger as Debi, perhaps more so because the majority of your posts show photographic evidence of your eye for the small stuff all around you and your talent for capturing it in remarkable style. Now you might not have made the connection that this is what you are doing, but it really is. For heaven's sake, you are sitting on the grass petting a wild animal! How much more in tune with the kind of small stuff that really matters could you be?

9:03 AM  
Blogger Astaryth said...

What a wonderful day! And, as someone who has a constant back ache, I can really appreciate it :) Maybe you should tell your Dr/chiro about the non-pain day and what led up to it. Maybe there is something in it they can use to help you feel a little less pain.. Hey, it's worth a shot!

11:41 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

carl:well the pics are because they are right in front of my face ...besides, I need a filler between books lol

hey JJ: oh I intend on letting the chiro and the reg. doc know what happened!!...right after I hug the foot doctor lol

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Richard R. said...

Nice post, and thanks for sharing your no pain day event. Though I am no tin pain every day , it is frequent companion and not by choice. My worst is migraines, but next come problems with my back which keep me from standing or bending a lot. I picked up my socks this morning and had a back spasm, so I have to pretty much write the day off. Sure I can read and fool on the computer, but no errands and chores which I'd planned. I need to at least walk to the garden and see if anything had bloomed today.

12:51 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hello Richard: it was great while it lasted! LOL

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you on Medicare? If so perhaps you can find a pain clinic, which is usually staffed by anesthesia providers. We deal with pain. Can't say they could totally rid you of pain, but they might be able to alleviate some of it. We have a huge pain clinic at the V.A. here and it is always busy. You might look into it. Especially if the anti-inflammitory worked so well for you. Sometimes the sciatica is cased by one of the herniated discs pressing on the nerve. One of the retired nurses I have lunch with once a month had what sounds to be like what you describe. When she decided to have a discectomy, it relieved the pain! It is worth looking into if it is that constant. Plus I agree with your other friends, you see so much more in your lens than most of us with our two good eyes. Sher

4:17 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi sher: i don't want to get hooked on pain killers! (i hate pills lol) and I know I won't get hooked on this pill as it will rip my stomach apart pretty quick from what I've heard. I don't know what a "discectomy" is but if it has the word "surgery" in it I will never have it done! Waaaay tooooo Many horror stories of people having back surgery of any kind.. I still haven't tried acupuncture (mostly cause medicare won't cover it) nor have I tried epidurals yet. Having this one day without pain made me realize just how much pain I am in all the time.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

It's so lovely that you had that one day without pain. That must have been a real joy. I'm with a previous commentor, mention it to your drs to see if they can use that knowledge to help you some more.

Great books! And wonderful photos. I would not think many get that close to a wild bird.

3:40 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath: oh i will tell them! but there is one thing i never forget (and why I hate pills) for every pill that makes you feel better there are side effects that can and do worsen your health.. it's always a trade off. one day I hope I can try accupuncture and have success with it. No pill, no side effects just deaden the nerve causing the pain...one day america will wake up and smell the roses and "approve" and cover the cost of accupuncture. Like everything, it's not a cure and it's not for everyone..but many a person hooked on meds to survive, i'm sure they'd rather have had accupuncture then be addicted to the pill ... we'll see.. but I will admit it was a joyous day!

7:46 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

Oh Pat, I'm so happy that you had this beautiful pain-free day! I just wish it had lasted. But maybe this glimpse into what helped, if just very briefly, will give the doctors an idea.

It's certainly understandable how living in constant pain, not to mention living with depression, can make it hard to notice the good stuff in life. I wish I could change that for you, Pat. I wish that so much!!! You likely have no idea how much good stuff you add to the life of others. Your photos, your stories both of past and present, your posts about movies and books...all of that adds good stuff to my life.

*hugs*

12:29 PM  
Blogger Daphne said...

Lovely to read about your amazing day. So glad you got to enjoy it!

6:12 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Debi: thanks Deb, I will let them know. The Chiro wanted me to have them a month ago but Chiro's can no longer prescribe meds! I told the reg. doc who did not give them to me. oh well.

Daphne.I've already forgotten the feeling lol..although it's not entirely back so far! thank you Daphne

6:43 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I'm so happy to hear you got to experience some pain free moments! I have sciatica too so I know just what you mean. The doctor says that sitting is one of the worst things for it...too bad I sit 10-12 hours a day doing my Marketing job!!!! Glad you got some relief from the anti-inflammatories...they have helped me some too!

10:09 PM  
OpenID libritouches said...

Oh, what a lovely day that sounds like! I'm glad that you got to experience it and I really, really hope that your doctor(s) can come up with something to make it a more common occurance!

(Er, copy Debi's post here verbatim, please. ^-~) I wish the day'd lasted.

I love the little moorhen coming so close to you too. <3 It's adorable! And yay for big, good things! *huggles* You deserve scats of good things, Pat!

5:06 AM  
OpenID libritouches said...

Scads, even. I can too spell properly. *sigh*

5:07 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

bird tweeterer (aka whisperer)

12:28 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

There is so much to be said for a GOOD sleep. I think half of my pain is gone if I get a good rest.

Try taking that pill at the same time and see if it is conducive to your restful sleep again!!!

12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home