My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, March 01, 2010

Is There Such a Thing as Too Much Movies?

I finally received my movie with Ian McKellan !  The one I had only seen the tail end of....

Sometimes I don't understand why a movie is not promoted.  The big buck movies with lots of special effects gets promoted so much they are shoved down our throats! (not that they aren't good.. generally they are very good)

But make a movie that tells a story with little or no special effects and the movie gets passed over.  This was one of those movies.  But I soooooooooooooooooooo liked this movie!!!!

It begins with a young boy who's father would read him a story he was writing a book about called Neverwas.

It then jumps to the boy grown up and working with mental patients. (one of which is Ian McKellan)

Ian believes in Neverwas.. it is his "kingdom".. the story revolves around the boy, his father who wrote the book, and the king of Nevermore..

(a few snaps I took off the television)

I sooooo love Sir Ian !! This was a very enjoyable movie.. if it comes on television and you like some fantasy I suggest you watch it.

Like Ian.. there are times you want more than anything to believe in something that no one else believes in.. and to go there and leave reality behind.... this is one of those times.

This movie hit home to me... and no one could have told it better then Sir Ian McKellan!

******************************************

And then........

My son and daughter in law and grandson came over and took me to the movies!!

one word:  AVATAR

Oh... my... gawd !

Every artist that worked on that movie imagining and drawing what that planet would look like deserves an Oscar!  What beauty ! What fantastic use of colors!  What very imaginative "dragons" and wild animals!!

The ONLY downside to the movie was the 3D glasses which gave me a headache.  And to be honest, in my humble opinion, (and I know it's not worth squat) ...but the movie did not require 3D and I truly don't think it enhanced the movie at all.

That aside...  I thought the movie was excellent!! The 2 hrs and 45 minutes sped by. It seemed no longer than any other movie, and I have to say this: I do admire when the movie makers do not cut the hell out of a movie to make it a certain amount of time!  When a movie is good.. it cannot be long enough!  And at the price of a movie, hey, I want all I can get for the bucks!

I loved the avatars, loved the story line and gawd I loved the "scenery"!!!  Yup, I will own this dvd when it comes out!... I hope. I do know it will most likely be on the expensive side! *sigh*

12 Comments:

Blogger Astaryth said...

Avatar... I know.. RIGHT!?! It was amazing, and like you I can't wait for it to come out on DVD so I can watch it several times and see all of the little things that I am sure I missed while I was sitting in the theatre just being amazed :)

11:49 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

JJ: you got that right!! I can't even imagine how much I missed!!!

11:51 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I still haven't seen Avatar but I will soon! I think I will see the 2D version since several of my friends concluded the same as you...the 3D is not necessary to enjoy the film.

2:23 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kathleen: many see the 3d because of the big screen.. some scenes were nice from the 3d but most of the movie I saw no need for it.. it's a terrific movie, and great characters! I will buy the normal version when it comes out

2:44 PM  
OpenID libritouches said...

Oh, I remember catching about half of Neverwas on tv! It was so sweet! ^-^

I'm going to watch my first (well, technically, not I suppose) 3D movie come Saturday, I think. I might just forego the 3D glasses altogether, though. I'm glad to hear that you've enjoyed Avatar! ^-^

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you finally got to see Avatar. I loved the movie, but unlike you, I did enjoy it immensely in 3D. I am sure I will buy it when it is relesed on DVD and unavailable in 3D, so I was happy to get to see it in that format. It was my first big 3D movie and I picked the right one. Know Disney had some out, maybe even up, but saw that on regular t.v.
Ah yes, squirrels..the rodents with fuzzy tails. The ban of any bird lover's existence. I had three different feeders before finding one that let the birds have some of the seed. One lasted from the time I got it up until I almost got the seed in, another they would reach in and throw all the seeds onto the ground to gobble them up. Finally found one I screwed to the tree that had a slanted elogated roof overhanging the feeder part. There was a lever that would close if the squirrels sat on it but the birds were light enough that they could get the seed. The darn rodents began hanging upside down from the side and managed to get some of the seed, but not nearly as much as from the other feeders. It lasted until it rusted out and the weight of the squirrel made it fall. Haven't go a new one as yet. Someday.

3:29 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

I've seen "NEVERWAS", a few times---on the Movie Channels I get on my TV. I liked it very very much. And Besides Sir Ian...I liked Aaron Eckhart, A LOT! A movie worth seeing---As you said, Pat.

As to AVATAR...I will have to wait for the DVD to see it for the first time, which P.S's me, I'm sorry to say. Because, at this point---I'm sick of hearing about it...lol!
But I'm glad you liked it so much, my dear.

5:36 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

That should have reasd...P. O's me....as in PI**ES me OFF!

5:38 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

shanra: I hope you enjoy the cd movie! the glasses gave me a headache!

Sher: oh I was glad for a few reasons to see it in 3D in the theater but I did notice that most of the movie didn't seem to need the 3d..and it was so good it stands on it's own without it..

Naomi: oh yes! I thought Neverwas was a really good movie.. I do love a good story with good actors.. I really don't know why I had never heard of it before?!
I can hardly wait for the dvd of Avatar..but I do agree when the "buzz at award time" gets going they never seem to shut up lol.. believe it or not even with all I had heard and nominations and such I didn't expect it to be as good as it was.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Really pleased you liked Avatar so much. I'm not sure if we'll get to see it at the cinema or not but will definitely be getting the dvd. If we do go will see the 2D version as I'm not sure how the 3D glasses work if you already wear glasses as I do.

6:16 PM  
OpenID josbookshelf said...

Oh I loved Avatar and saw it without 3D. Like you, I was floored with the graphics and the immense work that it took to conceptualize and execute something like that! Very advanced animation; it certainly has pushed the envelope.

Its creators' imaginations are of such a high level. They created such a stunning world! I want to watch it again on big screen. But to do this, I must buy myself a home theatre and the biggest screen there is! LOL!

5:33 AM  
OpenID josbookshelf said...

I must look for Neverwas. I have a lot of respect for Ian McKellan's talent. Plus I looove fantasy movies and books.

Thanks for the heads up on this!

5:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home