My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Once Upon A Time....

Dictionary: fan·ta·sy   (făn'tə-sē, -zē)  



The creative imagination; unrestrained fancy. See synonyms at imagination.
Something, such as an invention, that is a creation of the fancy.
A capricious or fantastic idea; a conceit.

Fiction characterized by highly fanciful or supernatural elements.
An imagined event or sequence of mental images, such as a daydream, usually fulfilling a wish or psychological need.
An unrealistic or improbable supposition.
To imagine; visualize.

Encyclopedia fantasy

Mental images or imaginary narratives that distort or entirely depart from reality. Primary fantasies arise spontaneously from the unconscious, while secondary fantasies are consciously summoned and pursued. Fantasy is important in the lives of children and is a vital element in play. In adult life it is crucial to creative thinking and the making of art.

Thesaurus: fantasy noun

The power of the mind to form images: fancy, imagination, imaginativeness.
A fantastic, impracticable plan or desire: bubble, castle in the air, chimera, dream, illusion, pipe dream, rainbow. An illusory mental image: daydream, dream, fancy, fiction, figment, illusion, phantasm,  reverie, vision.

Literary Dictionary: fantasy 
a general term for any kind of fictional work that is not primarily devoted to realistic representation of the known world. The category includes several literary genres (e.g. dream vision, fable, fairy tale, romance, science fiction) describing imagined worlds in which magical powers and other impossibilities are accepted. Recent theorists of fantasy have attempted to distinguish more precisely between the self‐contained magical realms of the marvelous, the psychologically explicable delusions of the uncanny, and the inexplicable meeting of both in the fantastic.

*********************************************

Stainless Steel Droppings  better known to many as : Carl  is about to embark on his annual Once Upon a Time Challenge!

 

If you've never heard of it (is that possible???) here is a brief version:

The fourth annual Once Upon a Time Challenge officially begins on Sunday, March 21st and ends June 20th. You may choose one or more of the following:

 

This is really as simple as the name implies. It means you are participating, but not committing yourself to any specific number of books. All reading is a journey, perhaps none more so than reading fantastical fiction. By signing up for The Journey you are agreeing to at least read one book within one of the four categories during March 21st to June 20th period. Just one book.

 

Read at least 5 books that fit somewhere within the Once Upon a Time IV criteria. They might all be fantasy, or folklore, or fairy tales, or mythology…or your five books might be a combination from the four genres.

 

Read at least one book from each of the four categories. In this quest you will be reading 4 books total: one fantasy, one folklore, one fairy tale, and one mythology.

 

Fulfill the requirements for Quest the First or Quest the Second AND top it off with a June reading of Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream OR a viewing of one of the many theatrical versions of the play.

 

Read two non-fiction books, essay collections, etc. that treat any one or more of the four genres covered in this challenge.

and finally,

 

This quest involves the reading of one or more short stories that fit within at least one of the four genres during the course of the weekend.

You may participate in one quest or multiple quests, it is completely up to you and your reading whims!

You do not need to have a blog to participate, nor do you have to do any sort of formal review of your books. For those who want to, there is the Book Review Site available for you to post links to any challenge-related material you read. This is a great way for all of us to discover new books and for you to potentially generate visits to your own personal site.

********************************************

Ok.. so that's it in a nutshell folks!  You can join the challenge or just read along for no particular reason or enjoy the many reviews that will be posted during the next few month.. whatever you decide.. enjoy the "journey"!

So.. My tbr pile is so big I don't know where to begin, so I tossed a few books down and took a photo:

Percy Jackson: by Rick Riordan... Faery Rebel by R.J.Anderson...  Bones of the Dragon by Weis & Hickman.... Iceland by Betsy Tobin... Time Thief Trilogy by Buckley Archer...   Oricles of Delphi Keep by Victoria Laurie...   Scions & Druid of Shannara by Terry Brooks.... Enchantment Emporium by Tanya Huff.

Are these the books you will read, you ask?

Ummm.. maybe.

Will you read all of them?

Ummm.. probably not.

Some of them?

Hopefully.  But who knows? I may choose from the many others I have !  But if others review really good books I don't have yet... I may have to open a new category called: Murder she wrote! (oops, I don't mean to plagiarize!)

The truth is I have so many books I don't know where to begin! But I do want to join the challenge so I will begin with The Journey (to read one book).

More than likely I will continue on to Quest the First (to read 5 books) but that remains to be seen. 

For now, I will leave you with these thoughts:

Reality : A crutch for people who can't handle imagination.

Fantasy is my alternate reality.

22 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

It looks like you've got some great books picked out for the challenge! I love this challenge so much I find myself 'saving' fantasy just to read this time of year!

I really enjoyed Ice Land by Betsy Tobin and I love, love, love the Percy Jackson books by Riordan!

The others are new-to-me, but I look forward to reading your reviews!

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Chelle said...

I have to echo Becky and say I love, love, LOVE the Percy Jackson books!! They are so wonderful and so much fun. Can't wait to see what you think of them - if you get a chance to read them, of course.

4:34 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

HI Becky: I was being "quiet" about the fact that I got Iceland because of your review LOL.. they all seem good to me which is why I sent for them... but you know how tbr piles can be!

Chelle: I think i will love them too.. "if" I get to them lol sheesh

4:38 PM  
Blogger Darla D said...

Yay! I love this time of year. I hope you'll have time to read The Enchantment Emporium - I adored that book! I'll be interested to hear what you think of it.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Nymeth said...

Enjoy your picks, Pat! I particularly look forward to your thoughts on Time Thief books, as those are on my wishlist.

6:52 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

My grandaughter loves the Percy Jackson books and so do her mum and dad. And I'm really jealous as you have The Enchantment Emporium! That's a book I covet to death. Been waiting for the paperback so need to check if that's out yet. Good pool of books, Pat!

7:11 PM  
Blogger Sheila Beaumont said...

That's a great assortment of fantasy books you have there! I also love, love, love the Percy Jackson series (just finished the fourth).

Books that I want to read soon are Faery Rebels, Time Thief Trilogy, and Enchantment Emporium (waiting for it to come out in paperback on June 1).

7:39 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

Lots of good looking books there. Enjoy!

12:30 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Great assortment of books :D I also am a big fan of The Enchanted Emporium. Loved it to pieces.
I hope you get a chance to read it.
Enjoy :D

6:55 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

wow getting votes for The Enchantment Emporium and the Time Thief books and Percy Jackson! lol love it! Thank you all! I hope I can read them all (my reading sucks right now and has been for a few months!) but thank you thank you!

7:34 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

The Time Thief trilogy is fantastic! Well...the first two are. I have the third one; thanks for reminding me! I'll have to add it to my pile. Percy Jackson is a lot of fun too. The rest look really good too! Have fun!!

8:44 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

glad to hear that the Time Thief is so good! Thanks Heather, I hope you have fun doing the challenge also!

11:44 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

AAaaaaaahhh!!! I'm so freaking excited :D I've been looking forward to this challenge ever since it ended last year!!! Hopefully I'll be able to get my post up tonight!!

12:40 PM  
Blogger Astaryth said...

This is a challenge i will probably join in... This is always an easy one for me since I read almost exclusively fantasy and Science Fiction :) But, like you, I've found my reading dragging with the new year. But then most everything has been blah for me, I haven't even updated my blog in like forever. It just feels like this winter has drug on and taken a lot out of me. With the cold and the animals it just seemed like I was trudging from one chore to the next and not enjoying any of them, and we've been dealing with G's back problems since New Year's. BUT, Spring is on it's way and I'm hoping that it will perk me up.

Also, I may have some interesting news coming soon. We may be moving a little farther South soon. Yeah! Or at least I hope yeah. You know how it is... opportunities are sometimes all you think they will be, and sometimes they are not. We will see where this one goes! I'm hoping that it will put me close enough to maybe be able to visit you one day! Wouldn't that be fun? We would HAVE to go book shopping :)

9:03 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: Once Upon a Time is not only responsible for my reading increasing 10 fold and my spending increased the same..but it's when I met you!!!!

JJ: ohhhh that would be great!! but meeting old people is not all its cracked up to be lol.. you do have my curiosity aroused though.. the circus animals moving south???

5:14 AM  
Blogger jenclair said...

I only participate (and I say that lightly because I don't always keep up) in two challenges a year and both of them are Carl's! I adore fantasy, mythology, and fairy tales so the Once Upon a Time is a wonderful excuse!

9:03 PM  
OpenID dolcebellezza said...

I love your enthusiasm for this challenge, Deslily! It's infectious! Although, we're all pretty stoked as it is. I always look forward to seeing what participants will choose, and then I can make adjustments to my own plans.

9:34 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

jenclair: I only join 2 each year also.. both are Carls! lol this and his RIP challenge..and you are so right..it gives and excuse (permission) to read more !

dolcebellezza: oh me too! the lists send me to amazon everyday! and then I go more once the reviews begin! I wish I had "stock" in Amazon!

4:56 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

I see lots of people are reading Tanya Huff, which is good for Canadian books! I want to read the Enchantment Emporium very badly...haven't seen a copy yet to pick up. all your books look really good, Pat! Have fun with the challenge, I'm getting my post ready today (March 20).

10:06 AM  
OpenID josbookshelf said...

Thanks for this post, Pat! I may want to join this challenge.

I think you would enjoy reading the Percy Jackson series. I just did and had fun doing so. It may be "kiddie" in some parts but you'll still enjoy the way Riordan pulled this series off.

11:20 AM  
OpenID josbookshelf said...

Btw, I linked up your post to mine. I just joined the Once Upon A Time Challenge. :)

12:34 PM  
Blogger GeraniumCat said...

What a great way to choose books - I think maybe I'll try your approach next year - do you think a blindfold would be a good addition? :) I haven't read any of the books you've picked, but I like Tanya Huff. I'll look out for some of the others - but reading people's lists for the challenge is doing such bad things to my book budget. I've bought 2 books today already.

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home