My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, April 08, 2010

Park & Pond

Continuing on from the Pelicans I thought I would post a few other photos from the Park.. the first is the bridge we cross over from the "mainland" to Hutchinson Island..

The first place we walked to was a dedication to our Vets...

I thought the photo below was nicely done.

Then we walked about an Art Museum.. inside you are not allowed to take pictures but I did take a photo of this fountain just outside.

The park is noted for the Live Oak trees, but to be honest the park has become so Manicured that there are fewer trees then expected.. I did however love the split rail fence around some areas..

Looking out at the Indian River were some nice stones

Over near where we ate there were many boats "parked".. I thought this one so colorful I took a picture of it..

In front of the "old folks home" where I live are some very old (figures huh?!) Live Oaks covered with Spanish Moss... it looks so southern! lol

back at "home" Tom went to feed the Moorhens when he got invaded by the black birds and their young. They'd come fairly close but not close enough to take bread from his hand.

And now a story..

One that does have a happy ending!

A few days ago, while inside watching television, we heard some gawd awful noise and as I looked towards the pond I saw Mama Moorhen flying/ running after something a bit larger.. then it struck me what I had seen!

A hawk had taken one of the babies and Mama was chasing it!

I ran outside and sure enough the hawk had landed on the grass and had one of the babies! I ran towards it hoping it would take off while dropping the baby!.. it did not!.. it took off WITH the baby. I followed it until I no longer saw it and came back. Mama Moorhen had the other 3 babies by here and she was talking up a storm.! I went near her and she came towards me somewhat squawking like mad. I felt so bad for her! Tom and I both felt very sad, and went to search one more time in case the baby got dropped but to no avail..

This morning Tom went out with bread and what did we find? ALL 4 babies!!! It must have gotten dropped and found it's way back over night! We were so happy we were grinning from ear to ear!

The photo below is the "straggler" baby that often is by its self and the one the think might have been the one the hawk had..

A little ruffled but all the babies seem fine!!

We had our own Once Upon a Time happy ending!!!

8 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

Talk about two nations divided by a common language - when you said 'Vets' my first thought was, 'Well, that's nice... a memorial to vetinary surgeons'. *head-desk* If I had a brain I'd be dangerous...

Loved, loved, loved, the baby moorhen story. Awwwww!

All your photos just make me want to be in The States, Pat.

9:42 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath: LOL it's what happens all the time because our minds aren't really registering lol.. oh we are sooooooo much sisters lol

10:08 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

What a wonderful ending..that made my whole day!

1:43 PM  
Blogger Astaryth said...

Oh Yeah! So glad the little baby moorhen was o.k. What a nice ending to the story!

The Spanish moss that grows on the trees down here is a delicacy for the horses... at least for any I have owned. Once they have gotten a taste of it, they will look for it. It is funny to see them when it is a little windy standing under a tree waiting to see if some will fall down. LOL!

3:02 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kathleen:made my day to see the baby too! lol

JJ: I didn't know horses liked spanish moss! I didn't know it was something they should eat either..wow never too old to learn something i guess.

3:22 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

Oh I'm glad that had a Happu Ending, Pat. I know that Mama Moorhen must have neen almost crazy when that happened..So, to know that this little one escaped and is back with his family---Well, I LOVE this story.

1:07 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

naomi: I am glad too! the babies are getting big and mama will chase them away soon and have a new brood to do it all over again! They breed 3 or 4 times each year~

1:09 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I wonder how it got away. I have seen hawks drop stuff -- not sure what happens. But you'd think that baby wasn't big enough to get back.... wow.

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home