My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, April 05, 2010

Shuttle Countdown

At 6:21 this morning we had the last in the dark launch of a Shuttle...

Below you see what I saw : two chaser planes following the shuttle..

Then a bit later I did get one shot that gave you the feeling just how fast it was going..

This is the moon the morning of the Shuttle flight... the same moon that we will no longer be going to again..  I had so hoped to see  us land on the moon once again before my time here is over but now it looks like this will not be.

It seems the government has forgotten that, although there was a race for the moon, that it is a vital part of the human race making it out into space.

I believe we need to be in space.  We need to find other habitable planets.. in case no one has noticed we do live on a very unstable planet.  But of course this is just the thought of an old woman who will long be gone when this planet quite possibly becomes unlivable.  I would like to think mankind will live on...but unless we stay in space, I have my doubts.

Three Shuttle shots to go... and then there were none.

6 Comments:

Blogger Astaryth said...

We set the alarm and got up to watch this last dark one. We are far enough away that we don't get the sound wave or anything, but (if it's not too cloudy) we -can- see it going up. I'm sad that it is one of the last ones, like you, I think our future is out there, not here.. sigh...

9:44 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

I knew they weren't going to the moon again but surely they haven't cancelled the shuttle programme entirely? I suppose we were lucky to witness the moon landing in our lifetimes but I feel really sad that they might give up on going out into space altogether. So short-sighted.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Incredible shots! It is sad to think we won't go to the moon again but I always hope that will change. Right now there doesn't seem to be an active interest in space but that might change as our planet becomes more and more unstable (as you say).

9:19 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

Lets go. You and me. To the moon? (:

12:26 AM  
Blogger cj said...

Yes, Cathy, the shuttle program is done.

The US, the nation that reached the moon first, the country that has led the space program from almost the beginning, will now be hitching a ride on Russia rockets at 10 million a ride.

It's enough to make a person sick.

cjh

2:19 AM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

Great shots. So cool that you were able to witness it live in this way.

I hope that someone with influence comes along and rethinks the space policy here in this country. I realize that there are a lot of needy people in the world but I feel like our government wastes a lot of money on things that could be stripped back without damaging the space program. It is such backwards thinking and I hate to see it happen.

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home