My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, April 30, 2010

Two Surprises !!

Surprise # 1:  I noticed buzzards off in the distance on a tree, I usually only see them flying or drinking at the pond..

BIG surprise # 2: Mama Moorhen came charging at me when I went outside  so I ran inside and grabbed a piece of  bread..

I held out the bread and she came right up and took two or three bites at it.  Her older babies are still around the pond, then I saw her swim over to "Gilligans Island".. and low and behold ... there are 6 (best count I could do) new babies!!

These shots are a huge surprise ! As you can see, the older babies are with the new ones and generally the parents run them off before they have a new batch of babies!  (note the older babies don't have the red on the beak)

So here you see 2 generations of Moorhens!

The above picture is too cute seeing the baby look up to it's older brother or sister!..

It's difficult to get a good clear picture just yet but it won't be long before they are going around the pond with babies in tow.

10 Comments:

OpenID libritouches said...

Oh, my goodness. They're so cute! (The baby moorhens that is. The buzzards are intimidating. ^-~)

2:28 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I love that the moorhens are cohabitating so nicely together!

4:00 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Shanra: yeah they are intimidating! lol

Kathleen: it looks like big brother is helping! too cute!

4:26 PM  
Blogger cj said...

How very cute! The little ones with the bigger ones. The buzzards on the other hand? Not so cute but still kinda cool.

cjh

6:34 PM  
Blogger madcobug said...

Good pictures of the buzzards even though they are ugly LOL. Those babies are just to cute. Helen

9:27 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

How lovely that you have a new moorhen brood to watch! I didn't expect that...

8:48 AM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

They're so cute and fuzzy!

11:58 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

they are soooo ugly, they are cute.

1:58 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cj: i was shocked to find new babies this soon!

Helen:I have to admit I've never seen a baby with a bald red head! lol

Cath: oh hooray.. now I will be stressing counting them each time I see them to see if (when) some come up missing! I know it's nature and it's why they mate so much so that many do survive in the end.. but it still a bit heartbreaking when one disappears

Tink: it's the fluff that keeps them from sinking lol

pam: you hit the nail on the head

7:15 AM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

Awwwww...How Wonderful! They are truly adorable! I love the picture of the little one with his or big sibling...! Very Very dear, Pat.

12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home