My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Amazing..

There is just *something* about a large bird standing on the tippy-top of a tree on teeny-tiny branches that fascinates me!

I have seen the Anhinga in trees before but this time it was atop the tree right in front of my apartment... amazing.

When she flew away (female has brown neck, males are all black) I saw the Egret doing his fishing, or should I say, doing his impersonation of a statue... it made for a nice reflection photo..

oh.. and just so you know... this is the first time the moorhens had 6 babies and they are all still alive! (by now some normally *disappear*... must be all the help they are getting from the *teenagers*!)

8 Comments:

Blogger Gavin said...

Beautiful photos, Pat. It is amazing to see a large, awkward looking bird perched at the top of a tree. Great Blue Herons come to mind. We have lots of Bald Eagles in the Pacific Northwest and they always manage to look majestic!

10:06 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

Oh my, Pat, that picture is amazing. Simply beautiful.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

That's such a gorgeous picture and a beautiful bird!! Everytime I see a big bird on the top of a tree I think of you now :p We get a lot of egrets on top of trees here!

10:35 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

gavin: well you have one of the most beautiful birds then!!

debi: thanks lady .. just wish it weren't the same birds over and over.. but without them I wouldn't be posting a whole lot.

Chris I've had the Egret atop a tree a few times too. the anhinga amazes me more since it has webbed feet like a duck you wouldn't think it could grab on such tiny branches.

6:21 AM  
Blogger madcobug said...

Great pictures Pat. Good for the moorhen and her babies. Guess the baby sitters are a big help. I hope theose two gators doen't show up this year to get the little water babies. helen

8:23 AM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

That is amazing. I cannot believe that the tree isn't tipping over from the weight. Obviously even large birds are much lighter than their size would indicate.

On our vacation last week, as we drove through the countryside, we saw a tremendous amount of enormous hawks circling around, riding wind currents, etc. It was awesome to watch them glide like that.

1:36 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Helen: yeah I hope gators dont come too!!

Carl: nature can be cruel but it also can be very fascinating! (kinda spockish huh? lol)

1:40 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

GREAT Pictures of the Anhinga....AND I love that picture of The Egret....I agree, there is something truly Amazing asbout a BIG BIG Bird sitting on little branches...How do they fo it with out breaking the branch? Maybe they have some trick of making themselves weightless!

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home