My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Frank Frazetta, 1928-2010

A Fantastic Artist has left the building.

Frank Frazetta.

My brother was a dress designer/ artist and it was he who brought Frank Frazetta to my attention.  It's been many years that I have known of Frank Frazetta and a rival Boris Vallejo, both  went to many of the same schools and painted very similar to each other.

I can't begin to tell you about this man's art. So I will leave that to others who can do a much finer job. I just know I couldn't let this go by without saying my farewell to him.

Frank worked on movies (Fire and Ice) and did cartoons, but mostly was known for his book covers.

Over time I did collect the four books that He put out.

It's hard for me to keep saying goodbye to actors and singers and artists that I grew up admiring, but the older I get.. the more of them I loose. 

Although the talent Frank possessed belongs to everyone, like other losses they feel personal to me... like pieces of my life disappearing before my eyes.

Frank is gone  now... but his work will be around for not only me, to enjoy.. but for new fans that will continue to discover this amazing artist.

If you'd like to learn more about Frank here are two very good articles to read.

Frank Frazetta: Hero Complex

Frank Frazetta, Illustrator, Dies at 82

6 Comments:

Blogger cj said...

Such amazing stuff he did.

It is sad, isn't it?

cjh

4:39 PM  
Blogger Memory said...

This is so sad. I have many of his covers to the Conan novels, and to Edgar Rice Burroughs's adventure stories. His work was so distinctive.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

He was truly an amazing artist. It is sad that I had seen his work but never knew his name until he passed away. I can remember buying a Molly Hatchett album in high school and being blown away by the cover art...it was his and I never knew it.

4:53 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

I understand what you are saying and feeling, Pat....The losses of these talented people who more than touched our lives, is truly painful beyond words. I know this is happening each year of my life, more and more. Frank was certainly a beautiful Artist....My heart goes out to you, my dear.

12:42 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

A big shame. I know it's inevitable when you reach our age, to start losing people we admire, but it's hard nevertheless. RIP, Frank.

4:28 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cj:yes it is. very sad.

memory: depending on how old the book is some Conan is by Ken Kelly who Frank mentored and helped teach.

Kath:I will never be sure that he would have stood out to me if my brother hadn't admired him and brought his art into my life. so don't be surprised that he went unnoticed to you. Plus there are other artists who paint very similiar like Boris Vallejo.

Naomi:I knew you'd know the feeling. it starts when we are young with losses like James Dean due to a car accident..but then it grows and each year at the awards we get whole lists of talented people who we have watched all our lives pass before us. add them to personal losses and sometimes it can be horrendous the loss we feel.

Cath:our brain knows it's how it is but the longer I live the more I feel like everyone I know and love and everyone I admire is being ripped away from me. Sometimes you wonder if you will even wake up the next morning ..I envy people who have others that REALLY care and stay around their elders and give them reasons to keep wanting to live. (just meaning the older we get the more we are surrounded by death)

6:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home