My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

It's Hell Getting Old!

I am going to concentrate on one of the Moorhens..

The one is one of the first batch of babies of which only 3 survived.  He/she has been one of the 3 big brother or sisters helping to feed and watch over the second brood of chicks..  (below photo of newest baby...second brood growing fast!)

Anyway..

I will call this one, "Jr"..  and Jr seems to be growing up faster than the other two siblings...maybe a little too fast!  Take note that the "nose piece" is beginning to change color from nothing to golden (on it's way to red/orange).

For this he is suffering the wrath of Mama !  Jr is being chased unmercifully away from all the family and being forced to leave the pond. Now, generally this happens before the next brood is hatched so watching the "teenagers" help raise the babies has been a real treat... and as soon as the beak of the other two begins to change color, they too will be chased until they leave!

I feel sorry for this guy.. he still wants to help feed the babies!  So I took a few pictures of him/her this morning, knowing soon this one will be gone.. *sniffle*..

first a bath... then fix the feathers! 

Oh my... the kids just grow up too fast these days!

4 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

I'm learning quite a bit about these water fowl -- from you!!

1:37 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Poor little guy :( That makes me so sad!!

2:29 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Pat, I just can't tell you how much I enjoy your stories of pond life. You really ought to write a little naturalist book. :)

3:43 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

I wonder if he/she feels bad being chased out by Mama...I find it very sad, too! And I feel bad for him...I know this is their way, but....it seems cruel, doesn't it?

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home