My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day Memories

Memorial Day... from when I was very young ... meant the Memorial Day Parade.  It meant the whole town came to either be in the Parade or watch it.

From the oldest to the youngest.. My Nana, my mother and my Uncle Larry (who was a volunteer fireman)..everyone came.

When the parade ended at the church, after marching through the graveyard and doing a 21 gun salute, there were box lunches for the whole town... and visiting on the church lawns. (me and my Uncle Larry after the parade one year)

Then there was my brother who always decorated his bike . Any child who did that and belonged to the PAL (police athletic league) also was in the parade.  (me and my brother)

When my brother got older, he joined the Air Force.

He served our country during the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis. 

He was both an AP (Air Police) and then he was top secret, SAG (or SAC I can’t quite remember) painting maps for the Air Force.

Upon his death (18 months ago) I was given a folded American Flag  for his time in the Air Force... I thank him for helping to protect me, and always being there for me..

I love you Jim.

I hope everyone has a wonderful  Memorial Day!

6 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

What a truly wonderful post, Pat. This really is what this holiday is all about. I love these pictures so much. You are so freaking adorable!!!! And your brother was quite the handsome gent! Great way to remember him today :)

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What lovely pictures and memories. Thank you for sharing. My Dad was a pilot in the Air Force in WWII. At his funeral in a veteren's cemetary there was also a gun salute, taps and Mom was given the flag. It was very moving. Went to the Memorial Park today and walked the wall of remembrance.
By the way you were one cute kid.

4:00 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi Chris: ..but it's a hard way to do the holiday. but thanks

sher? one cute kid? lol.. too bad it doesn't hold true to the end lol sheesh

4:06 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

I got here hours ago and got interupted by someone arriving to visit me....!

My memories are very similar Pat...I grew up in a pretty small town and The Memorial Day Parade was a very important part of our towns 'coming together'. My mother walked in the Parade any number of times and I remwember kids with their bikes decorated, too....The Parade always brought me to tears---seeing the Veterans from, at the time, not only the First World War but some from an earlier war or two. The Parade was a tradition I wouldn't have missed, and wonder if they still hold it today....!
How wonderful that you have these great pictures of your dear brother and especially the one's with you.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

What wonderful pictures. Thanks so much for sharing them with us. A belated Happy Memorial Day to you as well.

8:49 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

made me shiver and fight a tear. wonderful post Pat! wonderful.

3:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home