My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Shuttle 05.14.10

The Shuttle missions are almost over.

I am more then sorry that I won't live long enough to see us back on the moon .  And I feel a great sadness for my hero's that put their lives on the line to get us to the moon in the first place.  I believe it was a bit *shaded, or misguided* as a *race* when in reality it really was "on giant  leap for mankind"....

I think of the original astronauts and wonder if they now feel that all they did was for naught.  The originals from Gemini, Mercury & Apollo,  will always be my hero's.  (not to take away from every single astronaut!) . 

It seems so wrong that we will no be going back to the moon and then beyond. (we should have done that long ago) I am 66 yrs old... I was in high school when Shepard made his famous 15 minute flight into space. The school put it over the loud speaker and I remember it as if it happened  yesterday.  It seemed like a dream.  Then there were more flights.. more splashdowns... and much crying as the astronauts came back safe.  My life  has gone by and many the hero's I've admired for so long are no longer with us... but for the ones that are... they must wonder why, once again, we will not go back to the moon.

I do believe the Shuttle missions have been important, but I also think the program went on longer than necessary before the next stage of space travel should have begun.  With much sadness I watched our latest Shuttle Launch.

May 14th : Blastoff was 2:20 pm. It is the Final mission for Atlantis.  I pray it is a success and a save trip for all.

(pics taken from the television)

I watched the lift off on the television and then went outside to see if I could get a glimpse of the vapor trail....

I am glad to say I got to witness a flawless blastoff.

I am sorry to say but I really think Obama is doing a wrong thing not giving the money to NASA.  Ohhhh yes, I know how many of us have trouble just eating and paying bills.  And like you I know many places the governments money "should" go to... but this IS one of those places.  This IS the future .  Maybe not mine  but it is mankind's future.  I am just sorry he doesn't see that.

For now however.. the Atlantis is safe and orbiting earth.

6 Comments:

Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

It is very sad, Pat, but I can see how "space"---for now, is taking a back seat. People need to be able to eat and have shelter and jobs, etc. If they don't have that, all the 'space' exploration won't mean very much. I know you don't agree and I respect that. I must say,I'm glad I am not the one who has to make these decisions....It would be incredibly hard.

Love that you got that stream in the sky....!

3:24 PM  
Blogger cj said...

I'm with you, Pat. I have a knot in my stomach whenever I think of the loss we're facing.

America, the nation that pioneered the space program, out of it? Hithcing a ride with the Russians for something like 40 million a launch? It breaks my heart.

Here's my tribute, on my other blog:

http://angam.blogspot.com/2010/05/hail-and-well-met.html

cjh

3:52 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I have the same feelings as you. I remember sitting in my living room as a smaller child and seeing the blast off --
of the simple into space arc and back. It was quite the deal.

We still need heroes.

11:12 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Pam: well I am glad *my heroes* are real ! at least they are not a movie or comic hero.. not that they are bad.. just that mine are living breathing people!

12:00 PM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

I too find this incredibly sad. While I don't feel like any of those heroes wasted their time, I do feel like we as a nation have wasted theirs. I understand the economy is bad, but I truly believe that the government has lots of irresponsible waste and if that waste was brought under control there would be more than enough money to continue NASA, to expand its role, and to also meet the other needs the nation has. It is a real tragedy.

1:39 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

carl: you won't get an arguement from ME!!!!

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home