My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, May 01, 2010

Ya Gotta Love Thrift Shops!

In one thrift shop I found two gems..

The Thirteen Tale in excellent condition (which I loaned out to someone to read already)  and Chaplin.  Now Charlie Chaplin isn't an all time favorite actor but if the book is properly written I will once again get much information about those by-gone days and what the industry of movie making was like back then.   (it doesn't hurt that the movie Chaplin starring Robert Downey Jr was excellent also)

Then in another store as my girlfriend was checking out her finds I came across this simple blue, uncovered, slightly frayed book.  I got curious and turned it on its side.....

...and read that is was a book about Dorothy Lamour.  I enjoyed her movies but I didn't think this would turn out to be my type of biography.. but.. before I set it back down I flipped the pages. Hmmm, the cover might not look good but the pages were very clean and it looked very readable to my not so great eyes.

I began looking for a date or some information like an index and found this lovely photo of her...  then out of the corner of my eye I spotted writing on the page next to it and I found...

 

.... this.   Could it be?  nah, no way.. that's not my sort of luck lol.  But hey, ya know what?  For fifty cents I'll take a chance and see if I can compare it to other signatures on the web..   And I did just that...

I did a search in the web and chose 2 very expensive, very exclusive businesses that sell autographs and compared them to the book..

The "Good Luck" looks the same.  The "B" and how it connects to the next letter unbroken looks the same.  The "D" in Dorothy is the same and so it the way she crosses her T.

I think I have a winner... what do you think?

10 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

The writing looks exactly the same to me, Pat. I think you might have hit the jackpot! Good spot! And that's my favourite 13th Tale cover there. Good thrift shop haul.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Astaryth said...

Gotta Love a bargain... If I am anywhere were there are books marked down, I gotta at least look :) Looks Like the signed copy is a match. Great find! We often pop into used bookstores looking for old out of print circus books. I will browse other things too. I have a favorite horse photographer (Robert Vavra) and once found an autographed copy of one of his books for like $10. Not as good a deal as yours, but Still a good deal LOL!

11:04 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

That Dorothy Lamour book is so freaking cool!! Go you :D And I do the same thing as far as The 13th Tale...if I ever see a really good copy of a book I've loved, I'll pick it up. Never hurts to have 2 copies. I figure I can use it to loan out or give to a friend or something!

8:30 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

Hello! You've got to let me know if the Charlie Chaplin is any good. If that's a forgery it's an extremely well done one! Congrats on the great finds :)

11:57 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

what a find!

1:58 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: now if I only knew someone who wanted to "really pay for the book with the autograph! "
I've seen prices from in the 70 dollar range to as high as 275.oo!

JJ: i love autographs! but I much prefer it on a photo books, as we know, take up way too much room, cause I can't seem to part with them!


Chris: I grabbed 13th Tale quick! lol and it got loaned out the same day~ hahaha.. have one other who I think might want to read it too! I've never done this before it sure is a good way to loan a book out!


Hi Tink: I am hoping it will have a lot of what the US was like back in his beginning days and a lot about the movie industry back then.. if it's well written it should cover those topics as well has Chaplins biography..(loved the movie..ever see it?)

Pam: yeah it is! Wanna buy it? cheap at 100.00 !!!

7:10 AM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

Nope I haven't seen it. I don't believe I've even heard of it. I know Child Star by Shirley Temple Black covers a lot of what it was like back in her days in the biz though.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Wow, sure looks like the same signature to my eyes! Congratulations on finding a treasure. I love thrift stores!

3:37 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

ABSOLUTELY! You definitely have a Winner Pat...I'm really happy for you, my dear....And for $.50...WOW!

12:27 AM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

What a fun treasure. I love Dorothy Lamour in those classic films with Hope and Crosby and the like. I'm glad you decided to thumb through it.

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home