My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Favorite Authors

Carl at Stainless Steel Droppings, did a post on Favorite Authors...  I told him I would think on it and then maybe do a small post.  I am glad he clarified  the meaning of "favorite"...

*”favorite” can be defined a number of ways and I am not a stickler on what that means. They might be authors that you have read and enjoyed for a long time or those you have just recently come to admire. For the most part I classify my favorites as authors I have re-read many times and/or have read several of their novels and/or cannot wait until their next novel comes out and/or cannot shut up about them.

My memory of being very young is very selective and I can't honestly say I remember very much let alone, did I do a lot of reading and if so who or what?  I have one vague memory of reading Zane Grey a lot.. most likely because back in the day that there were only a few channels on television to watch many of the shows were serial westerns like Roy Rogers and the Lone Ranger.  So I am guessing that's where the Zane Grey books came from.

Anyway... here's what I managed to come up with ....

****************************************************

authors recommended :

****************************************************

My love of Fantasy books I attribute to two people.  My brother who insisted I read "The Hobbit" and JRR Tolkien for writing it and sharing it with the world.

  That was back when I was still able to read the small paperback books.  The Hobbit became "glued" to my hand, I could not set it down!  I still totally remember standing in my kitchen stirring spaghetti sauce while reading the book at the same time!!  Needless to say LOTR followed close behind.  But I do also remember the first time I read those books.. for whatever reason I kept getting the names of Saurman  and Sauron mixed up and would need to sort out "who" I was reading about!  (thank goodness for the movies! lol)

*************************************************

     Dragonlance & Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, in my eyes cannot be separated!  I can thank my son Tom for finding them for me.  One year for my birthday or Christmas (I can't recall) he gave me a Dragonlance Trilogy written by Weis and Hickman.  I went on to read many more books by them both and many years after reading the small paperbacks they came out  with the first 6 books in hardback. I was so thrilled that I purchased the hardback versions of the first 6 books to keep for as long as I live!!!

**********************************************************

authors found on my own

**********************************************************

   Laurie R King is a newer author for me.... I found her by picking up a used book of hers for Carls RIP challenge called The Moor. (of course I love the very old Holmes movies with Basil Rathbone which helped) Laurie has several books out on her character of Mary Russell.  Mary just happens to meet Sherlock when she is quite young and winds up marrying him.  She is a perfect *female Sherlock*, and so between the two of them and the wonderful mystery cases that Laurie writes I fell for her books in a big way and read all that she has out on Mary Russell.  I even tried a stand alone book she wrote with new characters and a new mystery called Touchstone and loved it very much indeed!

*****************************************************************

Along the way I discovered David Eddings..

  ..and his Belgarion Series! I had to laugh because I kept falling in love with wizards!  First Gandalf and now Belgarath! I didn't want the adventure to end!  Later he released two separate books, one on Belgarath and one on Polgara which I inhaled like a deep breath of air! I also read other of his books, and although I totally enjoyed them, Belgarath, Polgara and Belgarion will always be my favorites.

***********************************

   I can't believe that I cannot remember the exact day that I came across the dragon-lady herself, Anne McCaffrey!  Talk about books you've read and reread and reread!!

I am going to say that her Pern books are my ultimate favorite books. I've reread them a few times and I'm always glad when a few years go by and I begin to feel it's time to read them yet again!  I love all of the characters, all of the dragons and even the planet of Pern itself.  If ever I was truly envious of someone it would be Anne McCaffrey for having all those wonderful people and dragons in her head forever!

***********************************

  When I first read  Terry Brooks Shannara series there was all sorts of gossip about the books being a rip-off of LOTR.. but other than the fact it was "a group of friends" on the adventure and indeed there was a wizard , I myself, didn't make the connection and have reread these books a few times. 

This is another author that I bought the original Shannara books more than once in order to have the fabulous trade paperback books with artwork by the Brothers Hildebrandt.

*********************************

  Stephen Donaldson's Thomas Covenant book (8 books to date and waiting on number 9)  They were really different and I was amazed at how well the books held my attention.  Over the years I've heard  people who did NOT like his books but having been a reader for some time now I do know that at times we like or dislike something because of what's going on in our own life and if we are emotionally having problems.. I have read these a few times also and have patiently been waiting for the 9th book to come out. 

Having written this little blub I get the feeling it's nearing time for me to visit them again...who could not want to read a book in which there is a friendly giant who lives by the sea by the name of Saltheart Foamfollower!

********************************

Now for two newer authors....

  Cornelia Funke  .  Gosh I have really taken to YA books the past few years and a few authors that jump out at me that I already know I will reread their books: one is Cornelia Funke ... (Inkheart series)

.. and the other is Michael Scott. (Nicholas Flamel series)

Two totally different sort of YA stories but both are so outstanding I know I will read them over again. They have a permanent home on my bookshelves !

************************************

A Few books that surprised the heck out of me that I didn't think I'd like but did anyway:

Drood by Dan Simmons

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

Shadow of the Wind & Angels Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

The Woman in White by Wilke Collins

...written by authors that I will read more by so they are high on potential to be more of the above authors!

*deep breath*.. and the list could go on and on and....

12 Comments:

Blogger Astaryth said...

Oh NO! I will NOT be drawn into the favorite author/series/book things. I have waaaaaaaaay too many and can never choose. I always tell people my favorite book is the one I am reading right now.

Keep your eye out for a blog update from me this evening (probably late, late evening... on second thought, check for it in the morning LOL!) with my newest love/obsession/birthday present. I even named it 'My Precious' ;)

10:36 AM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

Ah, what a great list. I am certainly glad we share such a deep love for Tolkien. Although yours came well before mine I think I've at least made up some ground with my obsession, right?!?! :)

I read some Eddings several years ago and really enjoyed it. Haven't read any Brooks or Hickman/Weis. Its possible I've read some McCaffrey short stories, but I cannot recall. I do plan on reading at least the first few Pern books at some point. I keep looking for an old used paperback with the Whelan cover on my bookstore searches. I know I'll stumble across it someday.

I didn't realize that Thomas Covenant books were still being written. I hope for your sake the next one comes out soon.

I'm also glad that you've discovered some really wonderful books through the R.I.P. Challenge. Wilkie Collins is on my reading list, as is re-reading Thirteenth Tale at some point. The whole, too many books, too little time thing.

12:06 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

JJ: boy howdy! lol ok i will go to your blog tomorrow!!!

Carl: Stephen Donaldson decided to do a last trilogy that concerns Thomas Covenant. I didn't think I would like it all that much but have enjoyed being back in his world.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I love this post! You've reminded me of authors I love like Tolkien and given me many new ones to explore.

6:24 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Kathleen: you too can do this post with your own favorite authors!

6:26 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Boy this is hard to do. I have so many fond memories of books and the ones I first started reading that I know I will leave 99% of my favorites and influences out, but here a some I have read and loved over the years.
Classics like Jane Eyre (my first 'romance novel'), Dear and Glorious Physician and The Agony and the Ecstacy, Not as a Stranger, The Robe, Soany of Edgar Allen Poe, Mary Renault, Nathanial Hawthorne's works, To Kill a Mockingbird, and others that have me drawing a blank at the moment.
Current novelists, like Pat Conroy's books, Martin Cruz Smith, Donna Trait, Gary Jennings, Caleb Carr, Collen Mc Collough.If you want specific books I could name them, but it would be long.
Historical fiction and mysteries include books by Conn Iggulden's Genghis Khan series, Steven Saylor's Ancient Roman mysteries, Wibur Smith's Sunbird and River God about ancient Egypt, Jack Whyte's Skystone and the Singing Sword about the retelling of the way the Arthurian legend could have come about (very historically researched), and one I have reread many times Whom Gods Would Destroy by Richard Powell, about a young Trojan and his coming of age during the war. A bit fansiful but entertaining.
Science fiction includes all the classic by Heinlein, Clarke, Assimov, Bradbury, Stugeon, Ellison, that invaded my little imagination and made all things seem attainable. Newer authors include, Dan Simmons, (who writes in multi-genres but I first discovered his Hyperion and three other books in that series before his horror or mystery books). When I first picked up the Andromedia Strain in the early 70's, I could not put it down. Still has a great intensity and Chrichton's Jurassic Park was a fun book. Also Amy Robinson's Color of Distance, John Scalzi's Old Man's War, Joe Haldeman's classic The Forever War. Arrgghh..too many more.
Mysteries are fun and a few authors that I get all their books are Robert Crais, Thomas Perry, Barr Eisler, Johnathan Kellerman, Harlan Coban, Sue Grafton, Rhys Bowen, and many others.
Non-fiction began with biographies of George Washington Carver, Annie Oakley, Amelia Earhardt, Thomas Edison, Walt Disney, Judy Garland. Loved the James Herriot series of All Creatures Great and Small and the rest. Reading An Irish country doctor that takes place in a small village area in ther early sixties.
So better quit now as have to get ready to play racketball and get my workout in beforehand. Having the carpal tunnel hand surgery next week so will be unable to play for awhile. Glad to be gettting it done though as this left hand is gettting worse than the right one was.

comment by: Vala

6:28 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

You have a lot of great favorites! I may try to read The Historian again one day but the first time I tried I didn't like it at all and couldn't get past page 250 (it's still marked since the day it came out which was when I bought it).

I have a million favorites but the only ones I've repeatedly re-read were Stephen King, Lewis Carroll, Louisa May Alcott, Charlaine Harris, Laurell K. Hamilton, and P.C. & Kristin Cast. I don't re-read very often but these are ones I've read more than twice.

7:00 PM  
Anonymous Richard R. said...

Not a clinker among them, desLily, though I admit I found the 2nd Thomas Covenant book weaker then the first, and the 3rd weaker than the second, and never went on to the second trilogy. A lot of people liked Inkheart better than i, but it was a book I finished. King Eddings, McCaffrey - can't go wrong there! I have them all, and have read all but the latest King. I think the first three books of the Belgariad were the best, but then I did like the second trilogy an awful lot too... maybe time for some re-reading.

Thanks for sharing!

8:55 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

You are a real reader, Pat. I love your enthusiasm for the Authors you have eother found or were told about.
For a long time I didn't seem to be able to read. I would pick up a book--mostly Autobiography's and Biography's---read a chapter or two and put it down--never to be picked up again.

I used to love Lawrence Sanders books---especially when I traveled...They are great books to take on a trip. Recently I have been reading a lot of John Grisham and enjoying his writing very very much. All "light" rwading, but fascinating Mystery-type books.

10:20 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Oh Pat, this was such fun to read!!! But I'm embarrassed to say just how few of those authors I've ever read. Oh well...someday these munchkins are going to grow up and leave me with a little more reading time...I'll have to be sure to give all these authors a try then.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

someone should pay you to write these. honestly.

3:14 AM  
Blogger redsneakz said...

I enjoyed the Donaldson books precisely when my life was at its darkest - but now that those are past, his unremittingly dark view of the world is completely not for me.

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home