My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, July 08, 2010

Beam Me Up, Scotty

Beam Me Up, Scotty by James Doohan with Peter David

Paperback: 224 pages
Publisher: Pocket; Reprint edition (December 1, 1996)
ISBN-10: 0671520563

(photo in the book)

From Booklist

More than 10 years older than the other Star Trek actors who have given us their memoirs, Doohan remembers things they can't, such as radio as the primary entertainment medium and World War II from a participant's perspective. The war remains very bright in his memory, and his war experiences constitute a big, engrossing part of this book. A Canadian army lieutenant, he took part in D-Day, caught some machine-gun fire, and lost a finger. He also lost his intended bride to a doctor back home, so he immediately became an air surveillance pilot. He survived the war, anyway, and coming home after six years in the service, studied acting at New York's Neighborhood Playhouse (Richard Boone, Lee Marvin, and close friend Leslie Nielsen were classmates), finally faced down the father whose drinking and violence had marred his childhood, and married his first wife in 1949. The marriage lasted 17 years, not happily; meanwhile, he moved to TV and Hollywood. It is page 127 before Star Trek memories commence. Those who think that isn't soon enough should get in a 12-step group for Trekkoholics. Sure, there are good things in Doohan's ST recollections (e.g., he allows that an outstanding performance by Bill Shatner as Captain Kirk was "pretty okay" --ouch!), but what precedes it is arguably better. Broad-minded Trekkers should chow down.

I first met Jimmy Doohan at a convention here in Florida many (MANY) years ago. I don't know how it happened by I was actually introduced to him. It would be 3 years after when he returned to Florida for another convention.  I was sitting in the front row snapping some pictures when he looked at me and said, "Good to see you again Pat."  I nearly fell off of the chair!  How the heck did he remember my name after all those years and gosh knows how many other people he had been introduced to during that time?!!!  But somehow he did remember, and I was to see him a number of times over the years including once on the set of one of the Star Trek movies.

I think I am a little disappointed in this book.  Although it did account for his early years and his years in the Canadian Service, and of course it talked about Star Trek... I still felt much was missing, but I can't say just what it was.

This is a very short book of only 224 pages , and I'm still glad I finally got around to reading it.  It's certainly not a bad book, I just think there was more to Jimmy.  I do think if you should choose to read this book one day that you will have a little more knowledge about Star Trek's beloved Engineer...

"Captain, the engines canna take it ennymore.."

Sure they can Scotty... you're a Miracle Worker!

8 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

Wow, that's really cool that he remembered you after that length of time. It takes a special person (especially someone famous) to focus in on who they are meeting and remember them when he must have met thousands of people a year. Sorry the book wasn't better.

3:46 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

I so love how he not only remembered you, but even remembered your name! :D

You know, I'm not surprised it seemed like a lot was missing...224 pages doesn't seem like enough to tell anyone's life.

9:26 AM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

It is fascinating how shows like STAR TREK and other Iconic TV Shows have enabled many Actors to write their Memoirs and that is because there is a market for them now when there wouldn't have been without the Great Success of these shows.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Another Star Trek Bio I haven't read yet! lol I've read the important one for me, both of the autobiographies Leonard Nimoy wrote. However, your memory of meeting James, and of meeting Leonard, are really precious and I love hearing about them. We were lucky with the actors on Star Trek that they were so gracious, aren't we?

8:41 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

sounds like his life didn't revolve around star trek --- probably healthy for him (:

I always loved him on the show!

2:32 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kathleen: he was really a good actor but didn't get to show how good

Debi: he had an exceptional memory it's hard to believe in the end he had alsheimer

Naomi: it seems tv stars followed the movie stars with their bio's. Many were certainly seen more often then a movie star.

susan: I think other actors and actresses are finding this out since a number of them do "autograph shows" now... it also brings them some much needed money since the older generation of them did not get paid the kind of money the actors of today get.

Pam: another thing the book neglected was that Jimmie went bankrupt but the movies made his comeback.

6:56 AM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

I hope you are feeling somewhat better Pat--I noticed you haven't posted in a while....

Thanks so much for the very sweet comment. I'm grateful to have such good friends, too....! They are a terrific group of women.

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Daniel said...

I love your "Star Trek" posts ! They always leave me "beaming" !!! Wish I could have met this amazing man...

11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home