My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, July 01, 2010

The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had

The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had by Kristin Levine

Hardcover: 272 pages
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile (January 22, 2009)
ISBN-10: 0399250905

 
From School Library Journal

Grade 6–9—This spirited, early-20th-century coming-of-age story presents a small-town cast of well-drawn characters, an unlikely friendship, engaging adventures, and poignant realizations. When a new postmaster arrives in Moundville, AL, 12-year-old Dit is surprised to discover that Mr. Walker is African American and that his refined daughter knows nothing about baseball, hunting, or fishing. With his best friend gone for the summer and in search of companionship other than his nine siblings he reluctantly hangs out with proper, opinionated Emma, who tags along with him asking questions and trying to keep up. Gradually, Dit begins to respect her independence, intelligence, compassion, and determination. But the harsh realities of segregation and racist attitudes threaten their friendship and open Dit's eyes to injustice. After witnessing the town barber's self-defense shooting of the alcoholic and abusive sheriff, Dit and Emma hatch a plan to save the black man's life. Dit's episodic story resonates with youthful authenticity. Peer pressure and racial barbs weigh on his competitive but sensitive spirit. Dit's insular world expands on drives to Selma with Dr. Griffiths, when the influenza epidemic of 1918 invades Moundville, during his pa's shotgun vigil to protect neighbors from nightriders, and in his shared exploits and lively discussions with Emma. Adult characters offer a range of guidance, perspective, and tolerance that helps shape Dit's understanding of his world.

I wish I could remember who's review I read that made me send for this book, but I tend to suffer from CRS (Can't Remember Shit!)

What an amazing little book this is.

It was written from memories of a real person nicknamed Dit. 

The early 1900's wasn't a very pleasant time for the blacks in this country and although this book also has bigotry in it and uses the "N" word now and then it's a very heart warming story, about a white boy who defies the odds and becomes best friends with a black girl.

The book totally reminded me of a time in my own life when I was but 10 yrs old and the Salvation Army sent me to camp one summer.  The camp had both blacks and whites and there was one black girl who was mad at the world and took it out on me.  But another black girl, who's name I will never forget, JoAnn Brown, became my friend.  This book brought me back to that time in my life... it struck a memory.

I don't know if the book would be something everyone would want to read.  And since it uses the "N" word now and again it may be offensive to some, but beneath the unfortunate language of the times lies a powerful story of friendship.

So if you were one of the people who at one time read this book and wrote a review... I thank you!

5 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this one! I read it last year and loved it :)

11:32 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Becky: ah ha!! I knew I read of it somewhere!! most likely it was your review!! THanks!!!!!!!

12:26 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

Maybe another book for my grands.

4:51 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

It sounds like a really good book. Any book that shows that friendships can and do trtanscend skin-color has to be something of value. I am assuming the "N" word is used to illustrate the Racism of the time....I am going to check this one out. Thanks Pat, and thanks for your visit. I hope you are feeling better and better with eaxh day, my dear.

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am doing a book report on this book, and I need to know what Emma's favorite book is. I do not have the book with me because it is back at the library, but could anyone help me out?

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home