My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Basil Rathbone

Basil Rathbone, there's a name I can never forget.

When I was  young (you know, back when birth certificates were still carved in stone!), and we finally got a television, movies abounded!  And weekends were the best yet!  All sorts of movies, from early morning to late, late night there were movies. (and they didn't cost a thing to watch!)

One of the actors back then was Basil Rathbone, and although he did make other movies he became most famous for doing Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes movies.

.. he was fabulous as Holmes!  And the black and white movies added suspense to the film.

Well yesterday on one of the Classic Movie Channels (TCM I believe) it was Basil Rathbone day.  All day long they showed movies that he was in. He even did a villain in a movie called Bathing Beauty with Red Skelton and Ester Williams.

Nigel Bruce played Sherlocks sidekick Dr. Watson. (to this day I hear their voices if I read a book about Sherlock.)

Of all the Holmes movies that they made The Hound of the Baskervilles (1939) was always my favorite, and towards evening it's the one Holmes movie they showed.  I hadn't realized that it was also the FIRST Holmes movie they had made.

I hadn't seen it in so many years I had forgotten that Richard Greene played Henry Baskerville.

Richard Greene (drool drool) oh my gosh!  He was so gorgeous!

Later Richard became famous for playing Robin Hood on television. His series ran in the 1960's.

Another movie I hadn't remembered that Rathbone was in was: A Tale of Two Cities,  (1935)which they also showed.

Along with Basil there was another character actress that once seen is never forgotten: Edna May Oliver.   

Sometimes I watch these old movies and I feel bad that many people do not know the actors and actresses from the old black and white movies.   I don't think it's just me or just because I am old that I say we had many marvelous people in movies way before color and special effects came along.  And way before "everyone had to be ungodly handsome or beautiful instead of talented... but that's another post!

If you haven't watched any black and white movies, you should try one now and then and then look up and read the stars short Biographies at IMDb.com   I wouldn't want you to miss out on some great story telling and fabulous acting!

So.. that was how my weekend went.. how about you?

6 Comments:

Blogger Astaryth said...

It was probably TCM. G is all excited because for the whole month of August they are doing 24 hours of 31 actors, one for each day. Playing not just their best-known stuff, but some obscure stuff as well. If you go to TCM.com they list who is on which days. G has already marked some days as TCM days ;)

10:42 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

I hear what you say about actors having to be ungodly handsome these days. I can hardly recognise female Hollywood actresses any more because they all look the same to me.

I certainly remember Edna May Oliver but didn't know her name. I might be completely wrong but didn't she play Lady Catherine in Pride and Prejudice, with Laurence Olivier and Greer Garson? One of my favourite movies.

And yes... Richard Greene! My head is now singing, 'Robin Hood, Robin Hood, riding through the glen...' heheh. Ohhh, memories. Thanks for bringing a few back, Pat. And The Hound of the Baskervilles was my favourite Holmes movie too.

Talking of Holmes there's a new Mary Russell book out. Eldest daughter showed it to me a few days ago. You may already have read it...

11:28 AM  
Blogger Sheila Beaumont said...

I adore the Basil Rathbone-Nigel Bruce Sherlock Holmes movies. In fact, I bought them all on DVD (back when I was still working and could afford it). I also love the Errol Flynn "Robin Hood" movie, where Rathbone and Flynn have that amazing sword fight on the stairs!

7:45 PM  
Blogger cj said...

Talk about a timely post! I just watched the TCM 24 hours of Basil Rathbone which included Hound of the Baskervilles and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes! It also included David Copperfield, which co-starred Edna May Oliver!

I watch more TCM than just about anything and love the old movies. Today's movie 'stars' can't hold a candle to women like Gene Tierney, Lauren Bacall, Merle Oberon, Katherine Hepburn, and Bette Davis just to name a few...

And I'm sorry... none of today's young men come close to the real movie stars like Errol Flynn, Laurence Olivier, Orson Wells, John Wayne...

cjh

4:01 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

JJ: I watch a lot of TCM..especially weekends and I love that if you wake in the middle of the night and can't sleep there is always a good movie on TCM!

Cath: I've said this before but the Brits are so much smarter about their stars.. they choose talent over looks because the talent makes them right for the parts! America did the same way back when but then chose beauty over talent and now every female actress looks 35 yrs old and they have to use heavy makeup to make them look their age !

Sheila: oh yes! but I have to admit that Flynn AND Richard Greene both made excellent Robin Hoods!..

cj: as much as I do love special effects the real talent is to do a movie without it! But those movies don't make the money for the studios.. it's a real shame.

6:45 AM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I do love his name. I know I've seen him in something but I can't remember what. The Sherlock Holmes movies are on one of my lists of things to watch around here somewhere. I've gotten where I actually prefer black and white movies over color sometimes because of the superior storytelling in my opinion. I do remember Edna May Oliver from Alice in Wonderland and Little Women from 1933 though.

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home