My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, August 06, 2010

A Busy Day at the Pond

I looked out at the pond and thought, "could this be?"

Two turtles and two ducks for me to see!

I haven't seen the ducks in a long time!  The Moorhens keep chasing them away and I would have dearly loved seeing their little babies here at the pond.

Then I got some bread and called "Mama & Papa".. and they came a running!  I was lucky to get this photo taken before mama yelled too hard at me for the bread!   When I saw the babies like this I could only think of the 7 dwarves from Snow White and I begin singing in my head: "Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to work we go...." lol

Feeding becomes frenzied.  Mama and Papa hand bread to the teens who in turn feed the babies.. there are so many Moorhens right now it's hard to get good pictures.  This first shot has Mama, 2 babies and 5 teenagers..

 

... and this one has 4 babies and 4 teenagers.. geez lol

 

Last year there were only 3 batches of babies.. this is number 4 already! I wonder if there will be more???

Later, the little green Heron showed up! First time this year.. well.. for me to see him ..

He tried to stay hidden from me in the reeds...

but then he forgot himself as he searched for something to eat!

He's quite small.. he's bigger than the Moorhens (taller) but smaller then Dead Eye... I almost didn't even see him!  It was nice to see a "visitor" for a change.  This very hot summer here seems to have less animals come to the pond.

Speaking of Dead Eye...

 

8 Comments:

Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

I Sooo enjoy your pictures of the wonderful Birds there at the Pond. Those Moorhens sure are prolific....And I LOVE that Bay Heron...Very sweet and beautiful...!

Thanks for the kind words about Sweetie, Pat....I am worried sick. And it breaks my heart that I cannot go and see him--and I worry that he fears I have abandoned him...OY!

1:55 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Some of the best pond photos you've taken, Pat. Especially like the turtles and the ducks and all the baby moorhens swimming towards you. You're quite the skilled photographer these days.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

LOVE these pictures :D I really love the ducks and turtles!! So cute. And the little baby moorhens all swimming in a row. So damn cute!! I can't get over how many moorhens have come into the world this year!! That heron is really beautiful too!

1:28 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Naomi: I know you always like the bird pictures!.. just glad they show up here!

Cath: it's all luck, I might be pretty good if I knew how to work the camera! but it does what it does and I'm happy about that much.

Chris: the Moorhens have shocked all the old folks here with their prolific reproductions lol..

7:16 AM  
Blogger madcobug said...

That is quite a gang of Morehens now. Those babies have really grown. We see that Green Herons or used to see them when we fished a lot. Great pictures Pat.
Hugs,Helen

8:04 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I love the turtles!

6:15 PM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

Such wonderfully composed pics, especially the one with all the younguns following in a row. And I could help but chuckle at the first turtle picture where he looks a like he got high centered.

10:02 PM  
Blogger GeraniumCat said...

Your pictures of the green heron are amazing - well, all the pictures are lovely, but I just think that heron is so beautiful. The grey heron too, you've caught the feathers on his back wonderfully.

I found a starving heron in our garden a couple of years ago and we took him in to our local swan rescue centre - I had to hold him all the way in the car because we didn't have anything to put him in. Up close, even on a rather weak heron, that beak is quite dramatic, so I put an elastic band round it. After a couple of weeks he was released onto a quiet bit of river. I hope he had a good life after that!

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home