My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, August 02, 2010

No Blame by Myself..

I have to admit that the last 2 months I've purchased "no books"!.. none!  Zip, Zilch !  First it was because I was so sick and not reading and second..well, I have no choice but to cut back. Thankfully there is always the thrift shops and goodwill places.

Anyway, I do try to keep up with my series and it was good none came out for a while.  Then the end of July Todd McCaffrey came out with his new Pern book, and since I read the others I had to have it.  He is not the author his mother is but I think I have a decent imagination and can deal with it.

And as you know I have this "thing" for our space program. Mostly, the originals from Mercury, Gemini and Apollo.  "We Seven" is out in paperback and I thought I'd add it to my collection of Astronaut books.

I still feel pretty good about these books because I FINALLY have my tbr pile under 100 !   Yeah, yeah so it's 99 but when I finish the one I'm reading it will be 98!! Taaadaaa!  I do fear it will change once my girlfriend calls and says, "lets do thrift shops!"  I always find something to bring home for fifty cents or a dollar!

11 Comments:

Blogger Astaryth said...

I have been proud of myself.... I haven't bought a book since before my birthday the first week in June. G bought me the Nook and I have read 7 library books on it and downloaded about 50 books for free from different places. I've been reading like crazy and keep adding books to my wish list at the Library and also keeping my eye open for the 'Friday Freebies' on Barnes and Noble and other such offers. Sometimes it's not a book I would read, but sometimes I find a gem :)

I just finished the latest Sookie Stackhouse book (Dead in the Family) and downloaded the newest Dresden wizard book (Changes) and started it. Both of these have looonnnggg waits on the hold list at the Library for a paper book, but I only had to wait a couple of weeks to get them in e-book form (I think I had 1 or 2 people in front of me instead of the usual 40 or more for most new releases!) Since I haven't been getting much extra work this year it is nice to be able to cut back a little on expenses and still read the books I want to :)

9:54 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi JJ: yeah I"ve been feeling good about not buying so much too. I am fastly running out of room to keep them.. I have a whole bunch of YA books that my grandson has decided to "cut back" on reading since he is now a teenager! So hoping and waiting for my son to visit and take the books to a friend of his who has 3 young girls to read. but I will always love the "book in my hand" feeling while reading

10:21 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

Nothing like a Pern book to stir the blood, imo. Just the covers make me all nostalgic, regardless of who wrote the book. Well done on buying less. I've been reading less (though starting again now) but still buying. Tut tut...

10:52 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: yeah.. hard to let go of Pern even if he's not a good as his mom lol.. my reading has picked up a little too.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Thank goodness for the used bookstores. I find a fair amount of reading material there but lately have been going to the library even more. I can't beat free!

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Going to leave a comment here for a change. Not sure if you got my last one. Just finished reading "A Place Called Freedom" by Ken Folliet. And found his sequel to "Pillars of the Earth" called "World Without End" for 25% off and grabbed it. I still have quite a few tbr on my pile as well, but need the feel of a book in my hand as well. Do enough reading on my computer so don't really want an e-book.

4:10 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Kathleen: my only problem with Library books is if I really love it I want to keep it LOL..

Sher: yes, I know what you mean about having the feel of the book in my hand! I think I have a Ken Folliet book in my tbr pile that I got at a thrift store.

4:14 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

It sounds like you have a GOOD backlog of books waiting to be read, so that is a good thing.
I just watch this Made for TV Movie called "MOONSHOT" (The History Channel)...Did you ever see that Pat? It's very good---a mixture of REAL Footage and Scripted-with-actors, film....About the lead up to the Moon landing and those who were on that first "step-down".

4:47 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

And thanks so much for your kind and caring words about Sweetie....I pray he will be alright.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Hoooray for getting the TBR under 100 :D That day is far far away for me :p Hope you enjoy the Pern book!! I know you will ;)

12:08 AM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I wish I could bring my TBR pile down that far! Congrats!

1:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home