My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A Book Review from 1969!

Even when I don't try I find a book to send for one comes up right in front of my face!  ARGH!!!!

In the same 1969 Life magazine with the astronauts I saw this:

..A Book Review.. Gah!... In a 1969 Magazine!  Gimme a break!...right to Amazon and the used books I went!  Sent for a hardback copy in "very good" condition for 1.05 plus 3.99 shipping! 

I realize that other than the cowardly lion in The Wizard of Oz many people don't know who the heck Bert Lahr is, but I do.. and I hope that "Notes on a Cowardly Lion" by John Lahr is enjoyable... I am betting it will be.

7 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

LOL, Pat! You don't have a chance it seems. But you got a reasonably priced copy and hopefully you'll enjoy reading about an actor you liked a lot.

4:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always had a soft spot for 'the Cowardly Lion' and I might have even read this or a portion a verrryyy long time ago. It sounds so familar. Know I read Judy Garlands Biography and enjoyed that. Lord what the studio put that girl through. Sure you will enjoy this.

4:05 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath:it was funny really, I was flipping the magazine pages to snap pics of the astronauts and there it was! geez lol


yes, the studio really ruined her life.. yet she did some fantastic movies! Bert Lahr was only a character actor but the lion sure made him famous!

4:11 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

I haven't read it, but it has to be a wonderful book....Lahr was such an interesting performer and such an interesting man, too!

6:55 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I can't help but notice that price from 1969...$8.95 for a hard cover? I wish that was today's price!

7:54 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

It's always amazing what you find in old magazines! I'd love to take some of the old ads and have them blown up and framed for my kitchen. I'd probably like this book but I think the only thing I've seen him in is Wizard of Oz. I'm much more of a Ray Bolger fan.

2:26 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

naomi:I like the old bio's because they also talk about what the industry was like back then.

Kathleen : no kidding!!! more people could afford to buy books!

tink: ohhh I like ray bolger too!

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home