My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, September 02, 2010

The Emmy's Were Sad for Me.

As most people know, last Sunday night the Emmy's were on television. I pretty much watch all the award shows to see if my favorites are recognized for their work or not.

I've only seen and touched 2 Emmy's in my life, one was brought to Shambala when I did volunteer work for Tippi and her animals.  It belonged to a make-up man named Doug Kelly... and the second one was the one below that was won by the guys for their tv series of High Chaparral. I find them much more beautiful then the Oscar statue.

During the Emmy's (and other award shows) they always have a section "in memory" of those that have passed away during the year.  Unfortunately, we had a lot more than I had heard of..but I guess that comes with my own age too.

The big shock to me was to see a name I not only knew, but was a dear friend.  Dorothy DeBorba.   I met Dorothy when I volunteered at the autograph shows when I lived in California.  She was a child actress and played a little girl with big banana curls in the first movies of The Little Rascals.

Her name was Echo.

Below are some pictures I took long ago when I helped Dorothy at the shows.  This first one is Dorothy with some flowers I gave her for her Birthday...

She always wore the multicolored vest that she had crocheted ..

Below is Dorothy flirting with Chris Atkins. (He was the cute blonde guy falling in love with Brooke Shields in The Blue Lagoon)

.. and here she is with John Astin (The Adams Family/ Sean Astin's dad) He had been autographing right across from Dorothy's table and she dearly wanted to meet him... so when things slowed down I went over and asked him if he be nice enough to come and meet Dorothy... obviously he was!

...and another OLD picture with Dorothy and Frank Stallone and me!  (lord I was young!.. and thin!.. and had hair!.. I've got to stop pulling out old photo's!)

When I moved from California back to New Jersey I would call Dorothy about twice a year and we would gab for an hour catching up on news.  Then when my brother died and then David and then the shootings in the streets and my move to Florida and depression, I didn't call Dorothy for about a year...  I was not prepared to see her name up on the list of celebrities that had passed away.  It happened this past June .

I'll miss Dorothy...

12 Comments:

Blogger Debi said...

Oh Pat, I can't imagine how you must have felt seeing her name there that way. I'm truly sorry.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I'm sorry for your loss. You have precious memories and you have honored the friendship you had with her by telling us all about her.

10:38 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Debi: yeah.. it was a shock but it was my fault I lost contact because of "life getting in the way"... :o(

Kathleen: she was a super nice lady and funny she always made me laugh.. she'd flirt outragiously with the male celebs at the shows and they all adored her.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Astaryth said...

So sorry. What a jarring way to find out about a friend's passing :(

7:33 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Oh Pat, I'm so sorry to hear this. It must have been a really nasty shock for you.

6:32 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

thanks JJ.. yeah it was sure unexpected!

welcome home Cath!... yup.. mad at myself for taking so long to get to Dorothy...

6:41 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

So sorry for your loss, my dear....These losses seem to get harder and harder as the years go on.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

I am sorry to hear that she passed away, even more sorry that you discovered it that way. Must have been a shock considering that you obviously had a friendship with her. While it may be jarring to you, I hope you don't stop pulling out the old photos. They are always great to see and you always have interesting stories that go along with them which I would hate to miss out on. You should do a book!

11:05 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

carl: ahhh no... no book about celebs lol.. yeah it was totally unexpected..but I was glad they mentioned her since she was only a child actress so long ago many times they don't even mention them. I'm glad they thought of her and had her name.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

No, I meant a book about your own adventures. You've lead an interesting life and made some really interesting connections.

3:30 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

carl: ummm .. well... all things considered.. it might be interesting.. problem is: I suffer from CRS! heh (can't remember shit!)

3:33 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

oh pat... I remember her in the movies.
how sweet that you corresponded with her.
My condolences.


ps. My WV is ripityr

RIP
Pity

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home