My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Kevin McCarthy Dies at 96

Like Many others, I saw on the news of the passing of yet another actor that I got to know by helping him at numerous autograph shows, Mr Kevin McCarthy. (this will be a rather long post)

The following are parts of an Obituary taken from the L.A. Times:

Kevin McCarthy, the veteran stage and screen actor best known for his starring role as the panicked doctor who tried to warn the world about the alien "pod people" who were taking over in the 1956 science-fiction suspense classic "Invasion of the Body Snatchers," died Saturday. He was 96.McCarthy died of natural causes at Cape Cod Hospital in Hyannis, Mass., said his daughter Lillah.

During a career that spanned more than 70 years, beginning on stage in New York in the late 1930s, McCarthy played Biff Loman opposite Paul Muni's Willy in the 1949 London production of "Death of a Salesman."

Reprising his role in the 1951 film version opposite Fredric March, he earned a supporting-actor Oscar nomination and won a Golden Globe as most promising male newcomer.

McCarthy had appeared in several other films and had a string of TV anthology-series credits behind him when he was cast as Dr. Miles Bennell in "Invasion of the Body Snatchers," director Don Siegel's thriller about an unsuspecting California town whose residents were being replaced by emotionless alien clones grown in oversized seed pods.

McCarthy's long career included numerous guest appearances on TV series including "The Twilight Zone," "Burke's Law," "Flamingo Road" and "Murder, She Wrote."

He appeared in about 50 films, including "An Annapolis Story," "40 Pounds of Trouble," "The Prize," "The Best Man," "Kansas City Bomber," "Buffalo Bill and the Indians," "Piranha" and "The Howling."
In addition to his many Broadway and other stage credits, McCarthy toured for many years as
President Truman in the one-man show "Give 'Em Hell, Harry."

He also was a footnote in the movie career of Marilyn Monroe, playing the husband Monroe divorced in Reno at the outset of "The Misfits," the Arthur Miller-written, John Huston-directed 1961 drama starring Monroe, Clark Gable and Montgomery Clift.

The son of a lawyer and his homemaker wife, McCarthy was born Feb. 15, 1914, in Seattle. He and his two brothers and sister — Mary McCarthy, who later became an author and wrote the bestselling novel "The Group" After moving to New York, he made his Broadway debut in 1938 in a small role in " Abe Lincoln in Illinois," starring Raymond Massey. As Sgt. Kevin McCarthy during World War II, he appeared in Moss Hart's "Winged Victory," the Broadway play produced by the Army Air Forces.

McCarthy appeared in several Broadway plays in the years immediately after the war, including Maxwell Anderson's short-lived "Truckline Cafe" with Marlon Brando and Karl Malden. He was a founding member of the Actors Studio.

In addition to his daughter, he is survived by his wife of 31 years, Kate Crane McCarthy; children James Kevin McCarthy, Mary Dabney McCarthy, Tess McCarthy and Patrick McCarthy; stepdaughter Kara Lichtman; a brother, Preston; and three grandchildren. He was divorced from actress Augusta Dabney, who died in 2008.


I am having difficulty believing Kevin is gone.  This was yet another smack in the face as I learned it on the news last night. I can only hope this isn't a case of deaths happening in 3's.

I adored Kevin. 

I first met him when I lived in California helping at the Hollywood Celebrity Autograph shows, and we hit it off right away.  So then a few years later when I found he was coming to the Chiller Shows I approached him to see if I could be of help to him and finding that he remembered me was wonderful.. and yes.. then I helped him at those shows until he just couldn't do it anymore.

I remember many good times sitting with Kevin and hearing his stories and laughing a lot with him.

He may not have been a household name as some stars are, but he appeared in many many movies and television and stage. We talked a few times of his sister Mary McCarthy who was well known for writing the book, "The Group".

..and I even came to find out that Kevin was in a remake of one of the first movies DeForest Kelley ever did called Nighmare . De's movie was called Fear in the Night, but it was the same movie...and Kevin played the part DeForest played!

I will miss Kevin.  He was such a pleasure to be with.  My heart goes out to his wife and children.

I will always remember you Kevin.

9 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

I didn't recognise the name at all and then I saw the photos and yes... very well known to me from loads of movies and guest appearanceson TV shows. 96 is a good age but I'm sorry once again that you have lost a friend, Pat.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I didn't recognize his name either but I sure knew his face. We are never ready to lose the ones we care about, even if they do live to 96. Another good one is gone.

10:35 AM  
Blogger cj said...

What a lovely tribute, DesLily. It's so hard to lose friends.

cjh

10:59 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Another sad one :( This so makes me want to watch Invasion of the Body Snatchers again!! I think I may watch it for RIP and remember him while watching it :)

12:21 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

Like the others, I didn't know the name, but the face in that autographed pictures was SO familiar! You were so lucky to meet such impressive people.

4:35 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Thanks Cath.. he really was a super person

Kathleen: you are so right.. he'll be missed

cj: it sure doesn't get easier

Chris: he was also the bad guy in Inner Space (where dennis quaid travel in the bloodstream)

Donna: he was very intelligent along with having such good acting talent.

5:47 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Oh Pat, I'm so sorry. I adore seeing these pictures...I just wish this wasn't the reason why. Take care, sweetie. *hugs*

12:40 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

I was shocked to read of his passing---I was very familiar with his work and didn't know him, but had met Augusta D. a number of times. He was a truly gifted Actor!
I am sorry for your loss, Pat.

It was also a shock to get a cal from Betty G. on Saturday, telling me that Hal Gould had died that morning....He was such a lovely dear man and such a very special Actor, too....Another Theatre West person, gone.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

nor did I recognize the name -- but the face immediately.

sorry,, sad,, hugs,,

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home