My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, September 17, 2010

Life: 1969

1969: I was 24 years old.

1969: I was married with 2 children.

1969: was an amazing year. Anyone who knows me knows how I love and admire the "original astronauts" and so I thought I would show you two old magazines that I have.

 "A picture is worth a thousand words."

That makes this one hellava post!..........................

(date and  price.  40 cents, my how times have changed.)

After all these years I still find the moon walks almost unbelievable, and I am beyond sad that I won't see it happen now that we have even more technology.   (and I will always believe that the space station should have been built on the moon.)

9 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

I was 25 with two kids. Daughter was born in March, 1969. I remember watching the moon walk on our black-and-while TV.

6:44 AM  
Blogger cj said...

I was 10 and we were watching the events unfold in my aunt's living room. She lived in the Wayne County/Detroit area. As we watched, my aunt cut my hair for the very first time. I went from having a pony tail I could literally sit on to hair so short it barely brushed my shoulders.

On the way home, we listed to a rebroadcast of Orson Wells' 'War of the Worlds'.

I will never forget that landing nor the words that followed: That's one small step for man... one giant leap for mankind.

Thanks for the memories, Pat.

cjh

11:17 AM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

Those pictures are worth thousands and thousands of words. Though I was only in my first year, I feel a connection to these things because they did happen in my lifetime. And the dreams that have sprung from that first trip to the moon have certainly fueled my imagination for as long as I can remember.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I have that Life magazine as well as several others that featured the trips to the moon. I can still remember how excited everyone was that we had landed and walked on the moon!

12:29 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cj: me either..it was an amazing time and I'm glad I got to see it all!

carl: for years I was made fun of saying that i only said I liked the astronauts because of my connection to star trek. I guess they figured you couldn't be intelligent and like star trek AND astronauts

kathleen: sure wish we'd go back while I am still around to see it but I guess that's out. :o(

5:20 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Amazng stuff. I was 16 and just into Star Trek so this was sheer magic to me. I thought it would go on and on and out into the stars. I imagine that I too will not live to see that now. Sad.

6:26 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

Maybe the space program will get another boost in the future? *Crossing fingers for you*

11:48 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: I too thought it would be different..to invent the shuttle was fantastic, but we should have gone back to the moon long ago!


Tink: thanks for crossing your fingers but with the economy as it is its more than doubtful.

7:07 AM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

Ahhhhh Yes! I remember it well! A very exciting time, wasn't it?

My word verification is "STRIP"...lol!

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home