My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Remembering De-Star

I was reading blogs (as usual) and Naomi, over at: Here In the Hills , had a post that made me smile.  It is a post of photo's of "oddities in Hollywood".  Well now, having lived near by Hollywood, and having been a "Star Polisher" I know something about odd!  lol..

Another lady and I used to  polish a few stars in Hollywood, namely: A.C. Lyles and DeForest Kelley. We did this because we loved both of those men and just wanted to do a little something to show them just how much we loved them... along the way I had a blast!

This is me at A.C.'s star at Easter time after the star was polished.  His star is but a few steps away from being in front of El Capitan, one of the oldest and nicest movie theaters in Hollywood.

As usual I look at me back then and wish I was thin and had hair again like that!!

Below shows how the star was "taped off" so when it was cleaned and polished it was just the star and not go on to the rest of the sidewalk.

Once polished it was "fanned" to dry before cleanup was done.

The Walk of fame is made of Terrazzo and so needed special polish so it wouldn't hurt the stone nor make it slippery for those walking on it.

The finished product looked darn good!

All the cleaning and polishing was done with TLC but let me tell you that although it was done about 8 or 8:30 am on a Saturday, and not many people around.. those that did come around would snap pictures of the "idiots cleaning the walk of fame". Once we were approached to do a short documentary of it and we did it.  We were filmed for a short sequence of news that would be shown in England.  We were scripted as to where to walk (it began coming down the stairs of the Galaxy Theater where De's star it) and then asked questions which we answered.  I am sure those in England who saw it thought there were some very strange people in Hollywood!

..On special days (like Christmas and Easter) special photo's were taken to give to AC or DeForest.

By the way:  It was work to clean!!!

(Christmas time below which is why I have on Antlers..heh)

Not that I was "odd" to be standing out there with "special made T-shirts and "fans" that made me look like I was a bit crazy... (a bit?)

..but then again... I WAS crazy! (look at that star SHINE!)

DeForest's star..

Utoh!   Are we arrested officer?!! (no.. but everyone was willing to pose for us to do pictures! lol)

Found this "Hollywood shirt" and added "buttons" and copies of their signatures.. stuff like this was only worn while Star Polishing or at Star Trek Conventions...

 

This one was a *gem*... the front of the long sleeved shirt looked like this:

...and the back and the arms like this.

Personally... I think that I fit right in with the Oddities of Hollywood! lol lol

8 Comments:

Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

In all the years I've lived here in Hollywood--It is almost 50--I jave never seen a "Star Polisher".....You sure were dedicated Pat....And the difference, when you were done, is quite astounding....Even the Terrazo color all around the Star looks so much better...! It's great that you have pictures of all this, my dear. A Hollywood "Oddity"? I guess so...lol!

12:34 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Looks and sounds like you had loads of fun being a star polisher. Having lived in California my whole life I am embarrassed to say I have never visited the stars in Hollywood!

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i enjoyed this!

em

5:23 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

What a lovely post, Pat. I never knew there were star polishers, lol, and that you were one. Loved seeing all the photos of you and seeing the sheer joy you got from having so much fun. The one with the policeman is priceless! LOL.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

Pat, I never cease to be amazed by all the totally unique and cool things you've done!

11:45 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

naomi: there's "nothing" that can be called odd in hollywood LOL

Kathleen: well..hollywood isn't for everyone..it helps to be a little crazy lol

Cath: gee sis..I should be famous in England I was on the news there once about being a star polisher! hahahaha.. want my autograph? LOL

Debi: insantiy runs in the family lol

3:40 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

BWAAAAAAAA ha ha ha ha ha ha. Seduced by the doc side.

yep. you're one crazy lady.
How I enjoy it, too.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

Wouldn't it be nice if Hollywood would do this once a month or something?

11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home