My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, September 01, 2010

RIP !!!

I am really glad that Carl. stainless steel droppings has his RIP challenge when he does because living here in Florida I would never know it's Autumn! But... Autumn it is and Carl is once again hosting his RIP Challenge!

The Challenge goes as such:

Peril the first:

Read four books, any length, that you feel fits my very broad definition of scary. It could be Stephen King or Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Ian Fleming or Edgar Allan Poe…or anyone in between.

Peril the second:

Read two books of any length that you believe fit within the challenge.

Peril the third:

We all want you to participate. This peril involves reading one book that fits within the R.I.P. definition.

Short Stores Peril

I am a big fan of short stories and my desire for this is perhaps no greater than this time of the year. I see Poe and Lovecraft in my future for sure. You can read short stories any time during the challenge. When I can, I like to read short stories over the weekend and post about them around that time. Feel free to do this however you want, but if you review short stories on your site, please link to those reviews on the Book Review site.

...and this year he added movies!...

Peril on the Screen

This year I have added an addition Peril, and that is for those who also like to watch suitably scary, eerie, mysterious gothic fare during this time of year. It may be something on the small screen or large. It might be a television show, like Dark Shadows, or your favorite film. If you are so inclined, please post links to any R.I.P.-related viewing you do on to the book review site as well.

You may participate in one or all of the various Perils. My one rule: enjoy yourself!

The R.I.P. V. Challenge does not require you to read from a pre-selected list of books, but like many of you I love to get ideas from what others are thinking of reading. If you want to include a pool of potential reads when you sign up, either in the comments or on your own sign up post on your blog (not required for participation), please do!

So...

I ran to my bookcase and grabbed out some books I know would fill the descriptions ...

One thing I discovered quickly... they are all *big books*! So, if I had any thought of "how many books I would read"... well, that went right down the drain!

I will have to sign up for Peril the Second (read 2 books) and then cross my fingers that I can do that! (unfortunately my reading has slowed to molasses flowing in winter! I am just thankful that even though it's slowed so drastically, that I still enjoy what I do read!

Here are the titles: (no promises that I will even read these, but most likely I will choose from these books)

Dracula Dossier by James Reese

Stone's Fall by Ian Pears

The Meaning of Night by Michael Cox

Portrait of a Killer (Jack the Ripper) by Patricia Cornwell

The Magicians and Mrs Quent by Galen Beckett

The Terror by Dan Simmons (can it possibly be as good as Drood?)

The Somnambulist by Jonathan Barnes

Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

The Bone Magician by F E Higgins

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Irish Ghosts and Hauntings by Michael Scott

The Mammoth Book of Victorian & Edwardian Ghost Stories by Richard Dalby

...there are more books on my shelves but I knew I'd have to put them all back after I took a picture so I settled for the amount you see above.

With all these to choose from I don't think I will do any rereads... but If I were to do that I would choose The Thirteenth Tale and Drood!

I also love that Carl has added the movies.. I am planning "none" but if they pop up on TV and I watch them I will report on them!

16 Comments:

Blogger Astaryth said...

Hmmmmm.... I might do the read one book one. I have a couple in my TBR/wish list that would fit. But I just started a series that I am -loving- and I am only on the second book and there are 6 I think out You have probably read them since they have a dragon featured as a main character. His Majesty's Dragon (The Temeraire Series). Since I am only half-way thru book 2....... BUT, I may take a break if I start getting antsy (which I sometimes do if I read too many by the same author in the same series in a row) and side-track myself with something for the RIP challenge :)

If nothing else I will enjoy everyone else's reviews and will probably add several to my 'wish list' ;p

11:37 AM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

That is a deliciously tempting pile of books you have there. And yes, there are definitely some chunksters on the pile. I hope whatever you choose ends up being as enjoyable for you as some of your past RIP reads. Thanks so much for joining in again, Deslily. It certainly would not be the same without you.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I love this challenge even though I never participate. Well I participate by reading about how all of you participate and I get loads of great ideas for books to read!! Have fun reading your chosen selections.

3:31 PM  
Anonymous Stephanie said...

I love his challenge! I really want to read Stone's Throw. Portrait of a Killer is a great book and, although long, is a quick read.

6:15 PM  
Anonymous daphne said...

The Terror is HUGE but oh, so good. I think it's my favorite book of the past 5 years. Sooooooo good!

6:56 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

The Somnambulist is...weird. I don't know if i quite liked it or not. The Dracula Dossier is fun. Hope you enjoy whatever you choose!

9:38 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Good lord those are some chunksters!!! The Terror is big enough but to throw Great Expectations in there too?! LOL. But I have no room to talk...I'm in the middle of The Stand right now which is 1200 pages :p But it's so good!! Have fun Mama!! Looks like you have some fantastic books!!!

1:24 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Yay Des! :)

I'm joining in this year myself, with a new blog and some new determination to see it through. Good luck with your pile, I bet you'll get through more than you expect!

8:22 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

I agree with Carrie--I bet you'll finish more than you think you will! I hate to admit it, but I haven't heard of many of those books in your pile. So, have you decided what you'll start with? Whatever it is, I hope you love it to pieces!

10:38 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

I agree with Daphne! Both Terror and Drood were completely engrossing books for me - both were excellent, and very, very different from each other. Happy reading to you!

5:40 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

That's a really nice selection, Pat! Quite a few of those appeal to me. Good luck with reading your two books, I'm sure you'll manage that. Will try to get my sign up done tomorrow. I knew I chose the wrong time to go away...

6:28 PM  
Blogger Rhinoa said...

I loved Great Expectations but I haven't read any of the others. Looking forward to your reviews.

12:53 PM  
Blogger GeraniumCat said...

I thought the cover of The Magicians and Mrs Quent looked nice in your picture, so I looked at the author's website. I want to read it now and rats! it's not going to be available from the library. Onto the wishlist with it. I love Great Expectations, it's my favourite Dickens after Bleak House.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I just read The Name of the Wind recently and it is going to be on my best of list for the year, I believe. Lots of other good looking books there, too. Enjoy!

10:46 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Yaaay for The Terror! It was my book of the year two years ago.....so if you read that, and I read Drood, we'll be able to compare notes on which of his books we liked best and why! :-D I read Name of the Wind last year and really enjoyed it, I've begun looking for the sequel now. Very good fantasy. You have some fun books there, Pat!

9:42 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Susan: ohhh I can't imagine Terror beating Drood! But hoping it get me interested.

I do want to read Name of the Wind but I've been putting it off until book 2 is close to being out.. they keep putting it off...it's been put off so long now I can't imagine it as good as the first anymore.

6:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home