My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, September 06, 2010

Sometimes, Quiet is Deafening

 The pond has been eerily quiet lately... hot and humid along with the fountain not working has left the water still and silent.  The Moorhens seemed to have settled down and there have been no new babies for a bit (whew). 

(DeadEye cleaning his armpit!)

(Woody, wallowing.)

This being a holdiay weekend (happy Labor Day to those who celebrate) it seems not only is the pond quiet but so is the television.  At least yesterday, I did manage one superior movie.  One that I hadn't seen in years... The Birdman of Alcatraz, starring Burt Lancaster. If you've never seen it, you really should.  It's a classic.  It's in black and white.  And without special effects you even get to see a baby bird being born.  But most of all you get a great story with great acting. (one of my favorite ladies was in it too: Thelma Ritter)

Synopsis: (from IMDb)

A true-life drama about Robert Stroud who educated himself in the science of birds while spending 53 years in prison. He became a world authority on birds. Convicted of murder twice, the second time for killing a prison guard, Robert Stroud is sentenced to life in solitary confinement. One day, after curing a sickly sparrow that lands in his cell, Stroud finds new purpose in his lonely life. He begins studying and eventually becomes an expert on birds. Through the strength of his will and the power of his intellect, Stroud is able to create a new life, and a fascinating world, in his tiny prison cell.

I guess since the pond was fairly void of birds... the movie filled in!

7 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

Happy Labor Day, Pat. (I don't really know what it is to be honest...)

I like the arm-pit cleaning pic. heheh. But look at the way you've caught his feathers. And the reflections are lovely too.

I saw The Birdman years ago, it's such a great movie. I used to love him in the old westerns. Didn't he play Daniel Boone? Can't remember what the film was called...

10:08 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

It must be the heat. I don't feel like doing much today myself!

3:11 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Oh man, I've never heard of The Birdman of Alcatraz but it sounds really good! I'm going to have to look for it on TV...a lot of times when they play something they replay it a few times. I hope I can catch it.

6:20 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

I remember seeing (and enjoying) that movie many, many moons ago...but honestly don't actually remember the movie that well. Guess that means I ought to try to find it again sometime, huh?

9:01 AM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

I LOVE that film...I read the book many many years ago and of course, saw the movie wben it first came out and many many times since---Thanks to TCM! It is such an inspiring film and one of the GREAT Story's, Ever! And Lancaster is superb in it!

1:07 PM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

How perfect for you to find Birdman on the television when the birds in your pond where off doing whatever it is that birds do...perhaps they were all gathered around a tv somewhere catching it themselves!

I remember seeing this years ago and enjoying it but need to watch it again. Lancaster is great.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I may have watched this when I was a kid once. I should watch it again -- especially with my bird love.

You will laugh to know we bought a "fake" heron on line that is supposed to discourage the real ones from coming to our pond to eat our fish.

Will let you know!

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home