My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, October 18, 2010

Stuff... just stuff

After reading The Meaning of Night I wanted to read more by Michael Cox. So I went on a search and found The Glass of Time, and also discovered that some of the characters were from The Meaning of Night and so I sent for a "used"  (but new) copy of the hardback.

Yesterdays mail finally brought the book to me!  (the same day I finished The Little Stranger.. how nice!)

So as you can imagine, I went right to this book!

My hands felt the same satin pages that his other book had! I have no idea why the publishers used such fantastic paper but they sure made my day!  It's books like this that will make sure that electronic books will never really replace the feel of a book in my hands! ( It's sad that the feel of these satin pages impress me so lol.)

I couldn't resist, and so yesterday I read the 30 page preface. :o)  Of course it's yet another book over 500 pages!  Today I plan to dive into the book and put a dent in those very pages!

Something I didn't know until my "sis", Cath, told me, was that Michael Cox died about a year ago... it's sad to think that there will be no more books by him.

On another note.........

For whatever reason one of the Moorhens was laying in the grass.  I approached it and snapped this closeup...

...Lately, when I feed them and toss some bread into the water 3 softshelled turtles come to eat...and I've even spotted two baby softshells!  Here's one's face as he waits for more bread..

As I stood there with my camera a lady from another building came walking her dog... naturally I had to snap a picture!

5 Comments:

Blogger Debi said...

Oh my goodness, Pat, that picture of the moorhen is spectacular! And that doggie--how sweet is he?!!

8:31 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

I'm with Debi... the moorhen is stunning. You even have them posing for you now, Pat! LOL!!!! And that's a cute dog.

Enjoy your book... my library copy of the first book is a normal book, not like yours. Of course, if I like it enough I may be buying it too. Yeah... what a sad loss of such a good writer.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

What an awesome picture of that moorhen!!! And I'm so with you when it comes to the texture of paper in books :D The perfect paper can just make a book that much more perfect for me!

10:43 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

debi: you should see him "try" to run with those stubby legs and a slight weight problem LOL

Cath: The Moorhen just sat there at first I thought it might be hurt! Took my picture and reached out to him and he stood up and looked at my hand as if to say "what? no bread?".. cha!

Chris: you would have laughed at me.. ever few pages I was stroking the paper lol..guess I haven't had a normal book with good paper in a long time. (many with photo's and such have nicer paper but not the books with just writing)

6:17 AM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

LOVE the Clos-up of The Moorhen and the Soft Shell Turtle, too....And that is a great picture of that Doggie...Very Very Cute!

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home