My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, November 20, 2010

The Blame Game

Chris at Stuff As Dreams Are Made On, (my adopted son!) likes to play the blame game... well this one is for HIM!  I blame ever one of the 4 books below on Chris!  Yup all Four!  'Cause he was the one to open his mouth about the good sale over at BookCloseOuts!  ppplllsssstttttttttttttt!!!!!  

So lessee... what do we have here?  A book on Cary Grant!  (something I wouldn't have splurged for had it not been a dang cheap price!!) called Cary Grant: A Celebration of Style.  Sheesh, everything Cary Grant did had style!!  This book is like a table top book!  A bit larger in size and with the very shiny paper inside. (and lots of pictures!!)

Next is Hide and Seek with Angels: a life of J.M. Barrie of Peter Pan fame.  Not the nicest of people but very interesting how he pushed himself into the lives of others. I became interested in his story after reading Neverland by Piers Dudgeon.

Then there is : We Bought a Zoo.  This is a true story that I thought about getting at one point then changed my mind and then changed it again!  .. obviously.

Last but not least is Tamsin!  Finally!  I have wanted this one a long time but just never got it.. Tamsin is a double blame on Chris.. one for the Bookcloseout sale and the other for enjoying it so much when he wrote a review long ago.

 

So.. now we look below at yet mooorrreee books! (help me! help me!*)  These I will blame on Carl!  Yeah! Carl made me do it!  He's to blame for addicting me to book buying!!!  So ..Carl is to blame!

These I got at a used book store..

The hardback Biography of Dickens ,by Fred Kaplan, was the most expensive. at 3.00 (and like new) over 600 pages of Dickens life... *oh boy, dunno when I will get to that one!*.  Amazon sells the paperback for 23.00!! (wow! I did good!)

Then I thought I'd try something new the book called The Forest, by Edward Rutherfurd, (I have a "thing" about trees and forests and my own weak attempt at writing occurs in Kesterwood Forest).. Anyway I hear it is a historical book about the New Forest in England, it is yet another 600 pg book!

Then I found an autobiography of Sid Caesar, called Where Have I Been? which I grabbed up for when I feel like I celebrity biography. (.50 cents)

Stephen Kings book, The Dark Tower... (now, mind you I have not read a single Stephen King book).  I am not sure what made me pick up this book but when I flipped thru it there were some paintings by Michael Moorcock!... so for .50 cents, it came home with me.

And lastly a true story of a cowboy that adopts a baby elephant.  (The Cowboy and His Elephant:the story of a remarkable friendship) Sometimes I just feel like something different... so that would be it.

There you have it!  I can't remember ever having so many books at one time!  I left the house today and went to a thrift shop and a used books store, spent 6.00 and came home with 5 books!  When I got home the mailman had just left and there sat the box of books from BookCloseOuts!  arghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Now the real trouble begins... where to put them!!!

10 Comments:

Blogger Bellezza said...

The Forest looks especially good to me; I have a thing for forests and trees, too. Also, I have a Rutherford on my shelf...it's called Russka because I also have a thing for Russia, and this looks like such a fabulous saga of that land and its people. We'll have to talk Rutherford when we're done!

3:52 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

I saw that he wrote a number of other historical books I may have to go back as they had the one on London also.. it's so HARD to leave books at a store when they are only 1.00 and in good shape!!! argh!!!

5:33 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Ooooh...The Forest...that one sounds really GOOD! I didn't know that you got Tamsin too!!! OMG Pat that makes me so HAPPY :D You're just going to love that book!! It's such a good one. You know...I finally thought to myself, a week came where someone else did as bad as me...and then right after reading this MY box from bookcloseouts came :p

11:38 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

I love, love, love Edward Rutherfurd!!! I haven't reviewed many of his books on my blog because I read them years before I started blogging--but they are oh-so-good! I especially loved London and Sarum! (I would love to reread those at some point!) I've read Russka and The Forest too! I've not read New York yet. I hope you do enjoy him when you get to him :)

11:43 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

chris: I will NEVER beat you baby boy! hahahaha but it is a good thing we don't live in the same house! hahahahaha I was shocked when I recieved my books before you did when you ordered yours before me!

Becky:ohhhhh that book only cost me 1.00 ! and they had London there too! I was going to get it and then thought how I didn't know if I would like the writing or not... I will go back and get London.. heck for 1.00 it doesn't matter if I don't like it I can donate it back to the used book store! Thanks Becky!

6:36 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I love Cary Grant and could stare at pictures of him all day long!!

4:53 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Wow, Pat, that's a wonderful haul. I can thoroughly recommend Tamsin! And I also have that Edward Rutherford book, but haven't read it read. The one book I have read by him, Salem, was excellent. I'm covetting the Cary Grant book, and the Dickens one, *and* the J.M. Barrie... If you can't find anywhere else bung 'em in the fridge or some'at. ;-)

2:53 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kathleen: i know what you mean lol

Cath: I've wanted Tamsin for some time now ..this time the price was right! lol 1.00!!! I was also afraid of small print when a book is only in paperback, this way I got to see it first!
No fridge room! The turkey is defrosting there now!!

6:22 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

Uhhh Pat, you do realize that The Gunslinger is only the first in The Dark Tower series, right? If you like it, you'll have to make room for the other six, too. :P

1:06 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

debi: yeah I know and doubt I will read it..got it for the moorcock paintings inside lol

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home