My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, November 04, 2010

A Good Buy is Always a Good Thing!

After having read Sarah Waters The Little Stranger I decided to send for Fingersmith... would you believe I got this hardback used copy, on Amazon, for a grand total of 4.55 !!  That's including the 3.99 for shipping!  And it's in fabulous condition!!

Just don't ask me when I will get to it!... I just know it will be this winter !!!

I have to stop sending for books.  Seriously.  I really can't afford what I am doing and it will catch up with me.  I can, of course, still get books from Goodwill and Thrift shops! So it's not like I can't get any... however I've got to stop or at least come to a CRAWL with books on line.  Sometimes, (sometimes????) it's just hard, ya know?!  Especially when a book like this cost less than one would be on the "sale" racks at the store!  And so my tbr pile grows once again...

And why have I such a horrendous tbr pile? Why it's because of Carl of course!.. ..and Chris.. and Debi.. and ..and..and everyone else's blog that makes me add to my wish list! lol...

8 Comments:

Blogger Debi said...

OMGosh, that looks like a pristine copy! I can definitely see why the temptation was too great--like you said you can't get a book that inexpensively on the bargain table.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

Fingersmith is a very clever, twisty turny story and you'll be taken by surprise, I guarantee, as you get into the plot. I was!

I hear what you're saying about book buying, Pat, I really do. But I can't help but feel that you need something in your life and the books you're buying are all on offer or from the thrift shop. You're not spending $100 a week on booze or something, just a small sum on books that give you a lot of pleasure and that you can keep and reread etc. Try not to be too hard on yourself, sis.

7:45 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

debi: you are supposed to yell at me not agree with me! lol lol

Cath: ah good to have you say how good Fingersmith is!! There are months when "the next book" comes out to the series I read and I've spent 25-50 dollars in one month! I could easily do that every month seeing as the "new hardbacks" are generally 17 or 18 dollars and ya books 12-14 dollars each.. sigh. I need to live next door to you so we can each get books we both like and them swap them! we'd buy 1/2 the amount of books! (yeah right..I doubt that LOL)

8:57 AM  
Anonymous daphne said...

I loved this one soooo much. I hope you enjoy it! I hear you about the book costs. I stopped buying books unless I couldn't find them at any of the libraries I have connections with. I use the online request thingie WAY more than the average user, I am sure!! And even then I go for the cheapest way possible, either thrift stores or the library sales or sometimes, only sometimes, ordering them online. But ohhhh, so tempting...

5:23 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

daphne: yes, I've heard nothing but good about this book! thanks for the reinforcement!
We all have the same weakness..books!!!!

5:57 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I don't think you will be sorry you bought this one. It is really, really good!

7:19 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kathleen: I don't think so either! and I do love a "sale" price! lol

7:22 AM  
Blogger fiction-books said...

Hi Pat,

The only Sarah Waters book I have read, was "Affinity" and that was brilliant.

I will get around to reading more of her work, but I say that about so many authors, which is why our house is as full of books as it is.

I am on a book buying ban (hubbies idea, not mine), until I have read some of the stuff I already have. Maybe it will incentivize me to clear out some of the books I am not really desparate to read. MAYBE!!!!

1:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home