My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, January 24, 2011

Art I Appreciate...

Carl, Carl, Carl... sometimes you drive me crazy!... or is that "crazier"?

Ah well, either one works.

Carl posted a beautiful article on Michael Whelan and his fantastic art work, little knowing (or not) I am and have been a huge fan of Michael Whelan for many years. As a matter of fact, I too own one of his books..it's the first Wonderworks book. (see cover below)



Now, most of you know me by now, and for those few who might stumble upon this post who don't know me I will tell you... I am the biggest Anne McCaffrey "Pern" fan there is! I have all the Pern books, and I've read them more than once!

Even his sketches were fantastic!



Therefore, it's easy for me to say that when I saw the Pern covers that Michael Whelan made for Anne McCaffrey, he also won my heart! Where the Dragonflight cover is Carl's favorite, mine happens to by this cover that he did for Ruth "The White Dragon" with Jaxon upon his back. The moment I laid eyes on this picture it was like it all came to life for me... Pern was REAL! Jaxom was REAL and mostly Ruth and the other dragons were REAL!!!


I never could have the vision that Michael Whelan had...but I am oh sooooo happy he had such great insight!! But I guess I have to stop gushing over his Pern works and let you see a few of the other paintings in this book: First up is the cover of a book called Stormbringer


...and next the cover of a book called Swords and Ice Magic...(Fritz Leiber was the author)



...and one more for good measure, and the reason I read A Spell for Chameleon! (Piers Anthony is the author)

So... you get the idea?! Michael Whelan is a great artist!.. and if you find the need to see more of his paintings check out Carls Blog, Stainless Steel Droppings, and of course Micheal's Web site.


Published art collections
Something in My Eye, (1997) (poster book)
ISBN 0-929480-82-1
The Art of Michael Whelan: Scenes/Visions, (1993)
ISBN 0-553-07447-4
Michael Whelan's Works of Wonder, (1988)
ISBN 0-345-32679-2
Wonderworks: Science Fiction and Fantasy Art, (1979)
ISBN 0-915442-74-4
Infinite Worlds: The Fantastic Visions of Science Fiction Art, Vincent Di Fate (author),
ISBN 978-0670872527

7 Comments:

Blogger Carl V. said...

Fun post, and thank you. This is the same book that Jim Black had reviewed last week that started the whole process with me getting the book I reviewed. The other one I have is a large The Art of Michael Whelan book.

Cool, I didn't realize he did a Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser cover. I'm going to have to try to track down that edition.

7:22 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I didn't know that he did the A Spell for Chameleon cover! I enjoyed that book so many years ago, and I was privileged to see some of his art at a science fiction convention many years ago - though even then i couldn't afford any of it. wouldn't you love to have a painting of his hanging in your house? I sure would. Lovely post, Pat! Thanks so much, I really enjoyed looking at these paintings. I love fantasy art work, and he is one of the best.

12:13 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Carl: I bought this book when it was new : price: 7.95!

Susan: i'd want the white dragon hanging around!! but as they say, I couldn't afford to shake his hand let alone own a painiting of his lol

7:14 AM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

He certainly is a great Artist! I remember you talking about him before Pat...It is wonderful to see more of his work here on your blog.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

The artwork is stunning. Thank your for sharing it with us.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

These truly are spectacular...every last one of them. And yeah, he definitely seems like the type of artist who could make you read a book simply for its cover!

7:14 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

He's an amazing artist that's for sure. I know him, like you, for his Pern book covers, which are surely among the most wonderful book covers anywhere. Nice post, Pat! Will look at Carl's later... I'm home, as you can see. :-)

7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home