My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, January 03, 2011

PBS

Sunday, January 9 from 9-10:30... I am sooooo excited!!!

MASTERPIECE CLASSIC “Downton Abbey”
Sundays, January 9-30, 2011, 9:00-10:30 p.m. ET
The miniseries that took the UK by storm comes to PBS. Described by the Brit press as “...more scandal and costume envy than an episode of ‘Gossip Girl’” (Marie Claire UK) and “makes almost everything else... seem bland and two-dimensional” (The Times of London). Created by Oscar-winning writer Julian Fellowes (Gosford Park), “Downton Abbey” depicts the lives of the noble Crawley family and the staff who serve them, set at their Edwardian country house in 1912. Featuring an all-star cast including Hugh Bonneville (MASTERPIECE CLASSIC “Miss Austen Regrets”), Dame Maggie Smith and Elizabeth McGovern. Laura Linney hosts.

I wonder if you can guess why I can't wait for this program?!

...It just might have something to do with this wonderful actress!

...it's just possible, mind you that you would be right if you guessed Dame Maggie Smith..

..she is my most favorite actress!

 

I loved her way back when she did "Murder by Death"... and Jean Brodie and My House in Umbria (and one of her latter movies, The Ladies in Lavender and Ya Ya Sisterhood!)

...and I still love her..be it a "professor witch", or a "Dame"!

..I just love, love, love Maggie Smith!!

I bet you couldn't have guessed, right?!

********************************************************

In case you didn't know but have an interest in Maggie Smith here's an interesting article to show you just what Dame Maggie is made of.

Sunday August 22,2010

By Adam Helliker, Diary Editor: Exclusive

OSCAR-winning actress Dame Maggie Smith has been given the all-clear, three years after being diagnosed with breast cancer.

Dame Maggie, 74, who lost her hair during chemotherapy treatment, carried on working during the “hideous” life-threatening illness.

She is one of the stars of the forthcoming major ITV costume drama series, Downton Abbey, written by Julian Fellowes.

She filmed scenes for Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince during bouts of treatment at a London hospital, and last year admitted that she “struggled through” the final Potter film, The Deathly Hallows.

Afterwards she said: “I was hairless. I had no problem getting the wig on. I was like a boiled egg. The chemotherapy made me feel horribly sick. I was holding on to railings, thinking, ‘I can’t do this.’” But now, following a second check-up after further treatment, she has been told the tumor has been successfully shrunk.

Her son, actor Toby Stephens, 41, currently starring in BBC 2 detective comedy Vexed, admitted his mother had tried to be “secretive” about her illness. He added: “She is of that generation that won’t burden other people. Thankfully she is in the clear and, fingers crossed, will remain so.”

Dame Maggie, who won Oscars for The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie and California Suite, has only once talked publicly about her stoic battle.

 

6 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

Oh no, I had no idea that Maggie Smith has been suffering from breast cancer. How awful. I'm so glad she recovering well. What a wonderful lady and amazing actress.

Am so thrilled Downton is with you from next Sunday!!! I hope you love it as I do, Pat. Maggie Smith is wonderful but also Hugh Bonneville, Brendan Coyle and Penelope Wilton (her scenes with MS are priceless). To be honest, the whole thing is beautifully done.

8:31 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: I hadn't known either and was shocked (and pleased that its gone) it's on at a good time and day.. sunday has nothing good on all day or night so I look forward to this and hope it doesn't do what they did to Merlin to me and change the channel and time so it gets too late for me!

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Daniel said...

One of my favorite Maggie Smith movies is "Murder By Death" ! I was bummed out that she was not in "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1". (She will be in the next one though) :-) Happy New Year Pat !!!

2:48 AM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

I too, LOVE Maggie Smith. SOOOOOOOOOOOO TALENTED!! And, an Amazing Woman, all around!
I am very much looking forward to this series---Our PBS station here KCET is no longer affiliated with PBS!! So, I am hoping this will be on the Orange County PBS Station. It looks like it is, but I don't trust anything till I actually see it!!!

6:51 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Maggie Smith is such a great actress and now cancer warrior! Enjoy the series Pat!

4:10 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Naomi: ohhh I hope you get it too!!!

Kathleen: I intend to! Now the deal is not to forget when it's on since I am already in bed by then, watching tv there!

6:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home