My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, January 20, 2011

You Have Been, & Always Shall Be: My Friend

Today is DeForest Kelley's Birthday....

De's passing was nearly 12 yrs ago...but it seems like only yesterday that I could hear his laughter and see the wonderful person he was. Not a day goes by that I don't miss De and Carolyn, they were such a special part of my life.

I chose the picture above to show you on purpose. One might wonder what you buy a person on their Birthday when they can afford to get anything they want or need. Well.. it is a dilemma! So generally in De and Carolyn's cases they would be a nice card and some sort of silly thing. (but always flowers for Carolyn) The poster behind De is one of the silly things I sent him.. I wanted him to know that I loved his cowboy movies every bit as much as his Star Trek part.

I couldn't believe it when only a short time after his birthday this photo was in my mail. Carolyn had dug out his old cowboy hat and had him pose by the poster, holding their dog, Fancy. (also behind him on the desk is a photo I took of them on stage at some convention.. kissing!)

I think what I miss most about De and Carolyn is that during the 10 yrs I knew them my mind was always set on trying to make them laugh.  What could I do or say to make them laugh?  I felt alive inside always thinking, thinking and when I could make myself smile or laugh.. then by golly I said it or did it, no matter how silly it might be...and I was never sorry, for I always got that smile or chuckle and many times a guffaw!  I don't think I have ever felt that good since.  But I do still smile at the memories.

After all... if you think I'd do something like this....

...for just *anyone* you're crazier then I am!

Recently I have met a young fan of De's on line.  What a shock!  I haven't met a fan such as she since the "old days" when I'd be at De's conventions and I literally saw young ladies *swooning* and nearly passing out! 

Now some may think that's an exaggeration, since De was not very young when I knew him personally... but trust me on this one... it's not an exaggeration!  I can particularly remember some young ladies from Germany turning all red at the sight of De on stage and hyperventilating or crying happy tears!   All I could think of was:  there's no one that deserves it more.   

And now I meet yet another fan ..ok, so she's not fainting but then again, she will never have the opportunity to meet De like other fans did...and yet I still get that old feeling that no one deserves it more than De...and at the same time I feel sad that she can never meet this actor that she admires so much.

Meeting her has made me feel old feelings and be sad that I can't do for her what I did for other fans.  Maybe get an autographed photo for her.. or even..if she were very lucky and his fan club was having an auction at his convention, give her the chance to actually meet De and Carolyn!!

They were happy times.

So, here on his Birthday, I choose to remember the smiles, the laughs and to recall what a special, special man DeForest was.

Happy Birthday De.  I miss you more then I could ever put into words.

8 Comments:

Blogger Vivienne said...

Oh what a beautiful and poignant post. It is obvious how much you loved them both. You sound like you have some wonderful memories to keep them alive. I hope his fans help to keep his memory alive. Big hugs

7:42 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

vivienne: I think what I miss most is how They made Me feel.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

Beautiful post, Pat. Brought back such wonderful Star Trek memories and I know you have plenty too.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

What a beautiful post, Pat :)

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Daniel said...

The Best of the best. My most recent brush with "Star Trek" was a pleasant chat with Mr. Deep Roy (he was "Keesner" in the 2009 movie) !

11:54 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

Happy De Kellys birthday Pat!


(ps. I heard that Blogger has a wonderful new spam guard in place ... and I checked my dashboard and it is true. Don't need to have word verification anymore!!)

5:27 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Beautiful post and tribute to your dear friend.

6:52 PM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

What a wonderful birthday remembrance post. He is definitely missed. As much as I love DS9 and think the new Star Trek movie was great, the original series will always be the best, because it reached me during my formative years and made me fall in love with this cast, Bones in particular.

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home