My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Black & White

I have to admit that I have been "accused" of liking the colors black and white since I wear so much of it ..heh.. so.. it's true and lately I've found it the same with the birds at the pond.

My newest "crush" is "Gre-be", that's his name.. actually he's a Coot, but at first he was thought to be a Grebe.

Gre-be will come when called but still won't come close enough to eat the bread from my hand.  He's very hesitant, and he waits just long enough that the "piggy Ibis" come by and push him out of the way.

But I adore him.  He lowers his head when the Moorhens come around "giving way to them" (and still one insists on chasing him). and he has the funniest feet!

They are greenish like the Moorhens but he has a slight webbing around each individual toe to help him be a good swimmer.

People say that his body looks like a Cornish Hen,... if he goes missing I will suspect someone tasted him!

If you look hard you can see the slight skin around each toe.

This is Gre-be pretending he's comfortable around people and stretching his leg and wing.

Today the "white" of black and white, came by.. the Egret.

And I do love how snowy white they are!  So gorgeous.

When he stretches his neck like this I can't help but think: "up periscope"!

They are all long necks and tall legs... (and beautiful white feathers)

 

I take way too many pictures of the Egret.. sorry 'bout that.

It's still sparse of birds around here but I'm sure there will be plenty of baby Moorhens starting in March or April !!

5 Comments:

Blogger Vivienne said...

Gre-be is so cute! I can't wait to see mor of him.

7:20 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

I think Gre-be is a cute coot. ;-) And your egret is a stunner, Pat.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

Gre-be's pretty! I saw an egret down the road from my house a few days ago. Love how white they are. Wonder how they stay like that?

4:49 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

this old coot likes the coot, too

1:46 AM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

LOVE that "Gre-be"...He is so sweet...! And of course the Egret...Such an amazing and BEAUTIFUL White Bird.....!

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home