My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Mo' Books

*sigh*..

The last addiction I had as bad as the one I have now (buying books) was smoking cigarettes and I did that from age 12 to age 63...knowing this fact what do you think my chances are that I can stop buying so many books?????

The latest to arrive at the old folks home is:

Keystone: The Life and Clowns of Mack Sennett by Simon Louvish. I got this used book not because I love the Keystone Cops but because Simon Louvish has become one of those authors I keep reading.  I first read his book, Stan and Ollie: The Roots of Comedy: The Double Life of Laurel and Hardy, and I loved it!  He made reading the story of how these two men got together (Stan from England and Ollie from Georgia: in a time when the only way to get from England to the USA was by ship!) super interesting.  He also didn't neglect the period of time it all took place and so *movie history* was mingled, wonderfully, with *personal history*.

After that *just because*  Louvish wrote the book, I read, Monkey Business,The Lives and Legends of the Marx Brothers. Now, I was not all terribly interested in reading about the Marx Brothers, but once again Louvish worked his magic and it was a really interesting read!

Also in my (ever growing) pile is: Man on the Flying Trapeze: The Life and Times of W.C. Fields by Louvish.  All of which I purchase used, and all of which have shown up to be in like new condition!  And unfortunately he has other books out, but for now I will stick with what I have! (I hope)

 

Waiting for Columbus by Thomas Trofimuk

Once again I have read this author.  His first book,  The Gargoyle was pretty good, I did enjoy it so when I read a few blog reviews on Waiting for Columbus, I thought I'd give him another shot. 

Sure wish there was a pill to take to stop buying mo' books than I can read!

13 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

Books aren't bad for your health though, unless you count the fact that when you read you are sedentary. Since I got my Nook, I'm burning less calories and having more problem budging those pounds. Anyway, I wouldn't put that in the same class with nicotine addition!

7:44 AM  
Blogger Vivienne said...

If you find a cure for your addiction,do let us know! I love the sound of the first two books. I hope you enjoy it.

8:07 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Donna: I've been meaning to get something so I could do audio books and walk at the same time, but I am no longer sure what to get! For a long time they were on tape..then CD ..and now people download to Ipods..I need to go to a library and see what most of theirs are so I can "hear" some books while walking.

Vivienne: LOL, no kidding I could sell it and make money huh?! lol

8:12 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

Yeah, books are a lot better for you than cigarettes!

11:47 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

Nice books... much better to look at than a packet of cigarettes (was going to say 'fags' but stopped myself just in time...) Waiting for Columbus has a very pretty cover.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

Ooh! You always pick up such interesting books! I would love to take a gander at Monkey Business and Man on the Flying Trapeze. I really, really, really didn't need to buy anything new this week but I picked up The Postman by David Brin yesterday. I had to talk myself out of buying Under the Dome by Stephen King today though.

8:08 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

My daughter has taken to asking why I have so many books. I think she's beginning to compare the number of books here in the house with what her friends' houses have. I tell her the name of my blog :-) so I'm afraid I can't say anything but 'hurrah!' to your addiction. Well met, my book-loving friend! *high five from Canada* It's a great addiction to have, isn't it? :-D And you get to learn about so many interesting things!

10:08 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kelly: duh LOL but moneywise? ummm I spend more on books than I did on smokes! lol

Cath: it's been 3 yrs now (or more) and I still want a cigarette! I keep hoping that will go away

Tink: I began Man on the Flying Trapeze... I can't say I am a big fan of WC Fields but what interests me alot is the time period and the beginning of movies and all the old biographies cover this very well

Susan: LOL how about I send my next book bill to you??? hahahaha not that you don't have enough yourself! lol

8:47 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I would have to quit blogging completely and facebook in order to have time to read.

I'm so busy with grandchildren, and helping mamas.

6:37 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

pamela: yah well we all know times when "life gets in the way".. I hope things get better with Karmyn

6:39 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Trust me Pat, if there was a pill I would have taken it by now. LOL!

7:33 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Kathleen: me too! I could read more than a year without buying a book! .. i could.. but I know I wont

6:14 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

You know what I say? Yay for mo' books :p But then again, when do I not say that, lol

11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home