My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

March 17, 2011

5:32 am.. BooBoo Kitty walks over my chest. (he could easily jump over but noooooo he walks his 9 lbs over my chest).  I keep my eyes shut but finally give in and turn my head enough to see my clock..5:32..I groaned and closed my eyes once more.  BooBoo walks over my chest yet another time and then sticks his wet and purring nose into my ear. 

I get the message and sit up. 

He proceeds to walk back and forth over my legs while I pet him.  I wish I could go back to sleep but I know I won't.  As always, I hear the train that is about a mile away.  First I barely hear it, and slowly it gets louder and then the horns go off as it readies to cross a street.  It's really quite a nice sound for some reason or another.  Strange, I never seem to hear it in the daytime or evening as I am falling asleep, but it's there off in the distance as I wake each morning.

I point to the floor and BooBoo jumps down and looks back to see if I am standing up .  Once I stand he knows he's done his job and he can now "wait" until I get to the kitchen to give him food.

I kinda dread today.  It's St Patrick's Day.  It would have been my brothers 72nd birthday.  I promise that you never met anyone who loved the fact that he was born on St Patrick's Day more than my brother. 

He'd always wear something green and he absolutely HAD to make his special Corned Beef and Cabbage.  I say special because years and years ago he found a recipe that called for the Corned Beef to be cooked in Beer.... so ..a six-pack later the Corned Beef would be floating in beer getting drunk.  

Actually, make that 2 six-packs and 2 Corned beefs because he would always invite others over to celebrate his birthday and St Patrick's Day... of course it helped that our last name was McCormick.  He loved the fact that he was Irish and English!

So, I just want to say Happy Birthday to my brother..I miss you.

(Below is a photo of Dave and Jim.  If David wanted to take him out for his Birthday Jim always made sure it wasn't "on" St Patrick's Day so that he could still make the Corned Beef and Cabbage!)

I like that I am Irish and English also (on St Patrick's Day I am Irish and English... all the other times I am English and Irish lol) But since I can't eat red meat (cholesterol) I can no longer enjoy Corned Beef and Cabbage.

If you are Irish, or not... I hope everyone has a great St Patrick's Day!

Erin Go Braugh!

MAY THE ROAD RISE TO MEET YOU,
MAY THE WIND BE ALWAYS AT YOUR BACK
MAY THE SUN SHINE UPON YOUR FACE
THE RAINS FALL SOFT UPON YOUR FIELDS
AND, UNTIL WE MEET AGAIN,
MAY GOD HOLD YOU IN THE PALM OF HIS HAND

 

5 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day Pat. I hope you will enjoy fond memories of your brother all day long.

3:35 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

St. Patrick's Day is one of those holidays which tends to pass me by - me being English and Scottish. No Irish blood as far as I know. Loved reading your memories though, Pat.

3:55 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kathleen..it was an ok day thanks. would have loved to have corned beef and cabbage though!

Cath.. i wouldn't mind if it passed me by lol

6:15 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Oh Pat, how hard, to have your brother's birthday be today, a bittersweet day for you, isn't it? You loved him so much.

I'm part Irish too, so I've always celebrated St patrick's Day - I make Irish Stew, which is a big favourite at our house.

Do you know where in Ireland you are from? We're from Laois (formerly Queen's) County, right smack in the middle of Ireland.

1:31 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

just eat it once a year -- and then take some fish oil to compensate for the rise in cholesterol.

My brother Mike was born on St patricks day, too!

1:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home