My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, March 06, 2011

Where Will it End?

I am obsessed there's no doubt about it.  The problem is, if I keep this up I will be living in the streets a lot sooner then I had planned!  I've got to get a grip... but until then, here's the latest "stuff"...

Found in the used book store: The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Tales...

Well.. most have heard of Washington Irving at one time or another.. and most know I can't stop going to the used book store.. where I found this book.

It's an addition from the 80's.. with a dirty cover, so why bother?

Because it is illustrated by Rankin (of Rankin/ Bass fame.. those it did the cartoon version of the Hobbit).  And the illustrations are why I brought this book home with me for 3.00.

I think you get the idea now... it's hard to leave a book like this, and one so cheap at the book store!  I thought I did rather well only coming home with one book.. but when I got home the mailman had been there..*sigh*

I only have an excuse for the Terry Pratchett book.. (I Shall Wear Midnight) Chris had given me the first two in this series , I found book 3 used.. but then book 4 came out *sigh*.  But now I have all 4 and will most likely have them on my Once Upon a Time list. 

As usual, I have no excuse for the second book, Remarkable Creatures...nor for the other 2 used ones on their way (Madame Bovary & Alice I have Been)..  I need to stop! 

The heat and humidity is upon us down here already and electric is expensive in this county, therefore, the temperature I can afford to keep this TINY apartment at is not comfortable even at 85.00 or so a month!  I'd love to be comfortable ! But when I talked to the local electric company I was told for each degree "cooler" you want it, it will cost about 10.00 more. :o(  If I weren't in constant pain I'd look for a job even though down here all one can find is part time minimum wage things like at Walmart where one is on their feet the entire time..nope my back would not allow that... so I've seriously got to stop the book buying and only get from the used store when it is 1.00 each. *sigh*  ..giving up 55 years of smoking was easier!

****************************************************************

ack! I didn't post this when I wrote it... and now... there's more STUFF!!!!!!

Ok before you laugh too hard... the first two books were used and I mentioned them in my last book post!!!  They just hadn't arrived till now.  Those would be Madame Bovary and Alice I Have Been.

Then I read that Patrick Rothfuss of Wise Man's Fear finally came out!  I mean really, how long did that take??  Name of the Wind came out in 2007!! (I have that book and never read it knowing I would want at least 2 of the 3 before beginning).. gawd.. FOUR years!!!  Don't ask how long book 3 will take!!!! To be honest I am afraid to read both his books because they are so big and I don't want to have to reread them when book 3 comes out!!!!

Decisions, decisions.

The Way of the Wizard I ordered because it was on my wish list and I always order enough not to have to pay for shipping.  Heck if I pay shipping I would not be saving all that much!

Ok so there  you have it..four moooorrre books.  I am up to 130 tbr now!  I guess it wouldn't be so bad but most of my recent acquisitions are chunksters and I am not a fast reader!!!  I will say I do enjoy them though.

I was going to use the photo below because.. well... somehow it doesn't look quite as bad ...*sigh* But all of them have such nice covers I had to show them.

Oh.. I almost forgot.. (you believe that right? heh!).. there was one other little item that came into the apartment..

it's not even worth mentioning...

.. no really it's not. 

Nothing at all.

Just a memory, a reminder.  (like I need a reminder?.. don't answer that!)

I tried very hard to resist it ....honest!

.. Honest! I did try!

And if I am going to be honest.. it has no value to speak of.

And I don't have room to turn around so there's no real room for something that isn't absolutely necessary!

..so what did I do?..

I convinced myself it was necessary! 

But that only lasted for about 2 minutes..

....however...

... in that two minutes I ordered it!  duh.

 

yeah, yeah..  I need a Star Trek Lunch Box like I need more wrinkles!

... I am soooooooooooooooooooo pathetic.

10 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

I think I would've killed someone for that lunchbox when I was 16. I mean seriously... I would have. So I'm not laughing at all (well not much anyway). Love it.

Wonderful book haul too, Pat. That Legand of Sleepy Hollow and Other Tales is incredibly beautiful. I keep hearing about Patrick Rothfuss so I'd better add him to the list. The last Tiffany Aching is the only one of the four I haven't read so maybe I'll nab a copy from the library (or my daughter) and read that too for OUaT.

I also want to read Remarkable Creatures. I love Tracy Chevalier's books (read 3) and that one is set not too far from here in Lyme Regis, so I would have nabbed that too. Madame Bovary has been mentioned several times on TV recently on the various books shows. I haven't read it but feel like I should. Lot of good reading there, Pat. When it's too hot to move you'll have plenty to keep you occupied.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

Wait, what? You have The Wise Man's Fear all ready??? I DON'T!! Stupid slow bookstore. I preordered it and should have it now. :( I'm sad!

ha ha. That's a lot of books there, Pat. I love the Sleepy Hollow book. That is totally worth the 3 bucks! And, the Terry Pratchett series is wonderful. I have read all four books now. I had Alice, I Have Been out from the library, but didn't get a chance to read it. I will have to try again.

Enjoy!

12:13 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kelly: i ordered it from Amazon and it came rather quickly.! I wish I could read as fast as you do! If i could I wouldn't have such a tbr pile!!!

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Shanra said...

You are adorable, me dear!

It sounds like a lovely haul! (Even if it's not supposed to exist.) I hope you'll find a lot of enjoyment in them! ^-^

12:30 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Your acquisitions are all lovely. I really love the illustrations in that Sleepy Hollow book and can see why you couldn't leave the store without it!

1:28 PM  
Blogger Gavin said...

I just love the Irving book. Well worth adding to your collection. As for everything else, well, we all have things our hearts just cry out for (like that lunchbox)!

Have a great week, Pat.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Well this is nothing compared to the damage I can do in a week :p But I know exactly how you feel about the money :( Well, I don't, but I know how stressful it can be. I just FINALLY paid off all of my debt and so much of that debt was because of books. It truly is an addiction!! But it's a much healthier one than smoking :p

I still haven't read the Rothfuss series either, but I REALLY want to! I've heard it's fantastic. And I absolutely LOVE the Rackham illustrations in your Irving book!!! They're amazing. I love his art so so much.

And OMG Pat, I LOVE your star trek lunch box :D :D :D It's just amazing!!!! What a great buy :)

10:01 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Pat, you *needed* that lunchbox!!! Don't let anyone try to tell you otherwise, okay? :D

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Daphne said...

I would have TOTALLY bought that Sleepy Hollow edition too!! I adore those illustrations!

7:45 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

OMG, that lunch box! Totally cool! I want one too. I just heard the Patrick Rothfuss book had come out, you have got to read them now! The first one was really good. The illustrations by Rankin are wonderful. Pat, sometimes, books are necessary. Don't ask me why, it's a bug you and I caught so long ago.....

really, I might be able to talk myself into getting that lunch box anyway. :-D

1:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home