My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Night and Day at the Pond..

About 5 days, or rather nights, ago the frogs all found the pond and were singing for a mate.  Actually, that lasted all night.. all day.. and all the next night.

Well, I guess they all found ready and willing mates because all along the edge of the pond I spotted a gazillion tadpoles!  note all the little black dots with tails!

  amazing ... simply, amazing.  In less than a week there will be millions of tiny frogs all over the place.. no bigger than these tadpoles but with legs !

I started this post 3 days ago.. last night the frogs were at it again! The noise was so loud you were lucky to get to sleep!! (that was one bunch of happy frogs! lol)

Night & Day...

...early morn'...

...the visitors very early in the morning

(small heron in breeding colors..note the beak!)

7 Comments:

Blogger Carl V. said...

Tadpoles always remind me of my childhood, growing up in the country in Nebraska. Every spring/summer we would go out and catch tadpoles by the dozens, hoping to watch them grow up in our little buckets. There were always a ton of them. They would hatch in the ditch next to our house, which was always filled with rain water, and the race would be on: would the water evaporate away before they grew into frogs or would they make it.

It was always sad those years when the water would dry up, and you would see these massive amounts of tadpoles trying to coexist in less and less space. We always wanted to save them all but never could.

It has been a long time since I've actually seen live tadpoles. I need to see if any of my spring walks can take me near water so I can check them out again and reminisce.

9:01 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi carl .. no matter how many books i post you always visit when I have a pond post up instead lol.. yeah.. I remember tadpoles as a kid too...and little creeks where I would go to catch frogs just to annoy my mother lol

9:05 AM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

We "raised" so many frogs and toads in buckets in both houses we lived in as kids. And turtles, a rabbit once that had gotten injured and we nursed it back to some degree of health, for awhile at least. It is funny because my daughter never really got into that stuff at all, I think in large part because she was raised in the city. I feel so far removed from that me in some ways and yet so very close to him at the same time.

I'm glad I stopped by now, it was wonderful to see this post and think of things I hadn't thought of in years. Decades.

9:08 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

carl: glad you did too! and glad you found the pooh post! :o) more memories eh? have to love those actors voices.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

Yes, that is the perfect voice cast. Amazing how "right" a vocal cast can be sometimes.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

The tadpoles pics take me back the same as for Carl. Tadpoles in the classrooms in the spring and tadpoles in the ponds and streams in the countryside. We were fascinated. Lovely pics, Pat.

10:13 AM  
Blogger animewookie said...

My mother used to take me to a lake in North Jersey in the summer. I had a blow up canoe and my cousins used to catch the tadpoles and put them in the canoe with me. I was just amazed by them :D Apparently tadpoles and kids go together...lol

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home