My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, April 11, 2011

Pooh Bear

(book 5 of 5 for OUaT: Quest the First)

Winnie the Pooh by A.A. Milne original art work by E.H.Shephard Hardcover: 160 pages
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile; (September 3, 2009) (my edition is 1987)
Language: English

A.A. Milne was born in England in 1882, studied at Westminster School and Cambridge, and then went to London to write.  From 1906 until the start of World War I he was an editor for Punch .  His only child, Christopher Robin, was born in 1920.  As a child Christopher was given some stuffed toys from Harrod's in London, and these became the inspiration for Pooh and his friends.  A.A. Milne died in 1956.

Ernest H Shepard was born in London in 1879.  He was a popular illustrator for Punch  when he was asked if he would like to illustrate a book of verse by A.A. Milne, When We Were Very Young .  The book appeared in 1924 and was an instant success.  It was followed in 1926 by Winnie the Pooh, and for this Shepard traveled to Milne's home in Sussex, Cotchford Farm, to draw the actual settings for the stories.

From Publishers Weekly

Fans of the Hundred Acre Wood can celebrate Pooh's 75th birthday with collector's editions of Winnie-the-Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner. Both books contain A.A. Milne's complete text as well as b&w decorations by Ernest H. Shepard. Dressed up for the party, each book features a redesigned jacket plus gold and silver gilded page edges, respectively.

If there is anyone out there who hasn't (at one time or another, most probably when young) read Winnie the Pooh I am greatly surprised and would say to them:  Get the books and read them for they never, ever disappoint!

So, although I remember them not from my own youth, I certainly remember the Pooh books from my children's youth.

I have to admit, I had a really nice set of Pooh books for my boys when they were young and don't know what happened to them.  I found a set just like them on Amazon but for 35.00 ummmm. I'll forgo them seeing as I have this simple book now.

POOH MOVIE:

Also I have to admit that as I read this book I heard each and every one of the voices from the Disney movies... the original movies that is with such wonderful actors doing the voices as:

Sebastian Cabot: Narrator

Christopher Robin: Bruce Reitherman and Jon Walmsley

Winnie-the-Pooh: Sterling Holloway 

Piglet: John Fieldler

Eeyore: Ralph Wright

Owl: Hal Smith

Tigger: Paul Winchell

Kanga: Barbara Luddy

Roo:  Clint Howard

Badger: Howard Morris

Who brought all these characters even more to life than they already were. 

And besides all these wonderful actors and their voices, I have to show credit to the (then) Animation Department who brought Pooh Bear and all the others to life....

Animation Department
Dale Barnhart ....  layout artist 
Basil Davidovich ....  layout artist 
Al Dempster ....  background artist 
Don Griffith ....  layout artist 
Fred Hellmich ....  animator 
Ollie Johnston ....  directing animator: "Winnie The Pooh" and "Piglet" 
Milt Kahl ....  animator: "Tigger" 
Hal King ....  animator 
Bill Layne ....  background artist 
John Lounsbery ....  animator: "Owl" 
Dan MacManus ....  animator 
David Michener ....  animator (as Dave Michener)
Sylvia Roemer ....  layout artist 
Walt Stanchfield ....  animator 
Art Stevens ....  animator 

The writing of A.A Milne of Pooh and his friends with his son Christopher is something that stays with one all their life.  Although it might not always be upfront in the brain.. it's never, ever forgotten.  Get yourself a Pooh book and read it now... and remember things you may have forgotten.

 "If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live without you."

"Promise me you'll never forget me because if I thought you would I'd never leave." - Winnie the Pooh

7 Comments:

Blogger animewookie said...

The Pooh books always make me teary. The simplicity, pure unconditional love and the aspects of letting go of childhood get me every time.

7:25 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I think they are making a new Pooh movie this year...

11:32 AM  
Blogger GeraniumCat said...

I don't quite think of the Pooh books as fitting into the OUaT category somehow, they are so real to me :-)

I'm glad you enjoyed the Tiffany Aching books. I've got the final one to read still - doing my usual thing of not being able to finish them. I thought Wintersmith was wonderful, a superb mix of dark and funny.

11:56 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kelly: yes I know what you mean!

kelly (kailana): I stopped watching Pooh movies when Sterling Holloway was no longer the voice for Pooh. He had the most wonderful "cartoon voice"! Hard to replace.

Geranium: ohhh well the last book is like that too! Dark yet funny. That was something he carried thru on all the Aching books

12:04 PM  
Blogger cj said...

I adore Winnie-the-Pooh! Milne was wonderful and those illustrations are beautiful.

Now...

Ever read the poem that goes:

Hush, hush, whisper who dares
Christopher Robin is saying his prayers.

It's by Milne and is one of my favorites!

cjh

5:32 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi cj: yeah, the books are filled with memorable quotes and poems.. amazing that this man wrote so much so well because he loved his son so much.

6:37 AM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

The Pooh books are absolutely brilliant. Milne has such an incredible sense of comic timing that is fascinating as a child and equally as fascinating as an adult. He has such a way with words and the stories of Pooh's adventures really are timeless classics. I checked out the anniversary edition a couple of years ago and read the stories aloud to my wife as we sat along the river in our favorite anniversary vacation spot. Of course I had to show her the pictures too. The illustrations are as much a part of the Pooh mythos now as the stories themselves, and they are wonderful.

Thanks for sharing the cast pics. I had never looked them up and it was fun to see who played who. I too cannot read it without hearing the animated voices in my head.

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home