My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Treasure Island

If I haven't lost my mind I sure do a good impersonation of it!...

Once again I was at the used book store. I go there often but have gotten quite a bit better about bringing home too many books..at times even none!!! (raise the flag!)  But sometimes I wonder why I go there when I have way more then enough books at home.  I will admit, this time it was an excuse to get out of the apartment, and nothing more.

So, yesterday while at the used book store my hand touched this small (6 1/2 X 4 1/2 inches) book titled "Treasure Island".. I have to say what flashed through my mind was not this small text book but the movie which has been made several times over many years.

The first one I ever saw was the one starring Wallace Berry and Jackie Cooper....  both were excellent in their portrayals.

Wallace Beery Wallace Beery... Long John Silver

Jackie Cooper Jackie Cooper... Jim Hawkins

But the one I remember most was the 1950 Version starring Robert Newton and Bobby Driscoll.  (Newton went on to reprise the role for a television series)

Treasure Island Poster

And so when I picked this book up I heard  Robert Newton's voice, "eh, young  'awkins".. 

I think his voice stuck with me even more then Beery's voice (though both are very distinct!) only because I had a number of years hearing Newton's voice on the television as a Treasure Island series. 

And I said to myself, " Too many years of seeing the movie... do I need this book?" 

I answered "no" and then, after noticing the books was for "school" I proceeded to carefully open the book anyway.

The first thing I saw sold me.. there was a photo of the author Robert Louis  Stevenson.

(closer view)

The next page had this preface on it... which I found very interesting..and is dated 1909.

...along with the publication date ...

And then after a few other pages about this book being for school I turned a page and there was this map.........and on the following page the story began......

Well.. what can I tell you?  As I explored the store more I must have found 5 more versions of the book... some for very young people and some not... still I held on to this tiny book, and as you suspect it came home with me.   I mean really... 1.00  .. I can't even get a cup of coffee for that anymore!

7 Comments:

Blogger Debi said...

A dollar very well spent, if you ask me. :)

10:52 AM  
Blogger animewookie said...

Wow! great find Pat, I envy your bargin hunting skills :D

12:53 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

Some of your pictures are not showing up... Not sure if it is just me, but just saying.

I go to the second hand store too much. I have to stop until I get my shelf cleaned off a bit, though. It looks really good right now and will look cluttered if I put too much more on it!

5:48 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

Our class did Treasure Island when I was 10. I adored the book back then and also when I read it properly in my teens. I should really reread it as I'm sure it would read differently as an adult. It's a lovely copy you've found there, Pat. A real bargain with an interesting preface and yes!!! a *map*. Wooohoooo!

3:17 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

What a bargain, my dear. A true Treasure, this "TREASURE ISLAND".
Two little Trivia things from me:
RITA BEERY, Wallace Beery's widow, was at The Feagin School of Drama And Radio, when I was there. She was 53 years old---we were all in our late teens or early twenty's....Her daughter, Carol Ann was going to The American Academy, at the same time....She was a fascinating and fun woman!
Second piece of Trivia: Jackie Cooper directed a TV show that I acted in..."POLICE STORY", I think....!

11:54 AM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

I just looked it up---It was "THE WHITE SHADOW" episode called "Pregnant Pause"....1979!!! LONG time ago...! I played a School Nurse....
There may have been a "Police Story" too...!

12:02 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Naomi! found it and saw it!!!!!! at least you weren't "nurse Ratchet"! lol

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home