My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Book Meme!

I took this Meme from Cath.. it's not as easy as it looks!

1 - The best book you read last year: The Meaning of Night & The Glass of Time by Michael Cox.  (I can see where choosing one of anything is not going to be easy!)

  

2 - A book you've read more than 3 times: Again, I can make a list! But I will simply say The Dragon Riders of Pern Trilogy (and all the other Pern books!) by Anne McCaffrey.

3 - Your favorite series: I will have to repeat number 2. The Dragon Riders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey.

4 - A guilty pleasure book: Gosh I find them all a guilty pleasure since I shouldn't spend money on books!  But I will go with a silly book I read just to be able to join RIP Challenge, it's called Gil's All Fright Diner, by A Lee Martinez.  It was just silly enough to make me laugh in parts and shake my head while smiling at other parts.

5 - A book that made you laugh: I'll say the Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud.  It's not everyday one meets a snarky demon!

6 - A book that made you cry: wow, I can't think of any off hand.

7 - Most underrated book: The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. A really excellent book but I don't think it got the popularity it deserves.

8 - Most overrated book: when they get overrated I tend not to read them. (Harry Potter being the exception, and of course I loved them)

9 - A book you thought you wouldn’t like but ended up loving: The Thirteenth Tale Diane Setterfield. My first "gothic mystery" book.. I've since read it 3 times!!

10 - Favorite classic book: The Woman in White by Wilke Collins.

11 - A book you hated: I don't think I hate any books but I didn't really care for Edward Sawtelle and many liked it.

12 - A book you used to love but don’t anymore: So far that hasn't happened to me.. if I love them I keep them. 'nuff said.

13 - Your favorite author:  Anne McCaffrey for fantasy and Simon Louvish for Biographies.

McCafferty    Louvish

14 - Favorite male character: Masterharper Robinton . Ah yes Cath and I have to share him! lol  I Can't thank Anne McCaffrey enough for the Masterharper!

15 - Favorite female character: Maybe Lessa from Pern..  she is strong and I am not and because I am envious of her love with the dragons.

16 - Your biggest fictional crush: No one anyone knows: Abbercorn.  But once again Masterharper Robinton would be a runner up!

Abbercorn  Robinton

17 - A Good Quick Read: I don't know a "good" one but an EXCELLENT one would be Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary A Shaffer.

18 - A book that disappointed you: I've set aside so few and once I do I don't give them another thought.

19 - Favorite book-to-movie conversion: Rebecca. And  A Christmas Carol and The Secret Garden and for newer movies: Harry Potter (The Kings Speech was really good too)

20 - Favorite romance: Hmmm I don't read Romance novels

21 - Favorite book from your childhood: A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

 

22 - A book you can't wait for: The Warlock by Michael Scott. I have totally enjoyed each book in the series even though I am ancient and the books are for young adults!

23 - A book you've been meaning to read for ages: The Moonstone by Wilke Collins

24 - A book that you wish more people would read: I wish everyone would love and read The Dragon Riders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey. I know everyone doesn't love fantasy and the books have been loved by many for years.. but there's a reason for that and it's why I wish more people read the books.

25 - Character you are most similar to: I can't really come up with one that I am *similar* to but sometimes I feel I have as many books as Aunt Elinor in Inkheart.

26 - A book that changed your opinion about something: The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield.  I went from not reading mysteries and not reading anything gothic to loving both!

27 -  Most surprising plot twist or ending: Fingersmith by Sarah Waters

28 - Favorite book title: Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society   Mary A Shaffer ..such a great title!

29 - A book everyone hated but you liked: well, Inkheart didn't make the biggest splash in the ocean,  I don't think it was hated ..but Ioved it!

30 - Your favorite book OF ALL TIME: If I leave the Pern books on the back burner it would be a toss up between Drood by Dan Simmons and Stan and Ollie by Simon Louvish.

    

6 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

Great meme Pat. Thanks for sharing all of your favorites and for adding a few more to my TBR.

6:27 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

You are most welcome Kathleen! lol

6:56 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Love the way you did this with all the book covers. The Meaning of Night *was* a terrific read, I agree. And you've reminded me that I need to get that sequel from the library.

Okay... handbags at 20 paces for Robinton. heheh

7:01 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I wish I could reread more...I don't know why I don't do it more often. I'll definitely be rereading American Gods by Gaiman when the new edition comes out in June though!! Fun answers :)

9:44 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: it's hard to remember many individuals with all the books we've read lol..but since I reread Pern so much Robinton sticks in my mind.

Chris the best time to reread a favorite book is when the books you are reading "aren't quite doing it " for you. a reread perks you right up because you already know you like the book!

6:07 AM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

Well, this looks like aq very hard MEME! I don't think I could answer a lot of these questions....!
Did you ever see the Musical Stage version of SECRET GARDEN? It is lovely, in every way. A BEAUTIFUL moving Score....Worth getting the CD, my dear.

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home