My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Daddy-Long-Legs

Daddy-Long-Legs by Jean Webster

Paperback: 116 pages
Publisher: Aegypan (June 1, 2008)
ISBN-10: 9781606641903

 

Book 9 for Once Upon a Time.

I can remember the movie of the same name, "Daddy Long Legs" .  It was made in 1955 when I was but 11  yrs old.  In the case of the Movie, Daddy Long Legs was Fred Astaire, which makes perfect sense if you think of it!   Leslie Caron was  young Judy. (and a favorite of mine was in the movie too.. Thelma Ritter)

Anyway.. it's been eons since I've seen the movie but I sorta remembered it.. but then again,not totally, so when I read this mere 114 page book filled with letters from Judy to Daddy Long Legs it still came as pure joy.

It is a book for females, which is not my usual thing to read but I remembered other reviews some time ago and thought it would be a good book for a fast read.. and considering the last book I read was 994 pages long.. this was a breeze! lol

So here we have young Judy about to be tossed from an Orphanage with no where to go and no one to care, when along comes a mysterious benefactor and pays to send her to college. (where was MY daddy long legs??? sheesh)

And so  Judy begins writing letters to the rich man she has dubbed Daddy Long Legs.  The letters span all four years in college and tells of her life at college and her life in general.  If there is any fault to be found it would be that I felt some of the letters sounded like a much younger person than Judy was... but that could just be me.

Overall it was a very good book.

...and it was a very good movie.  Check them both out!

6 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

I thought this one was pure charm and loved it to bits. have not seen the movie, at least I don't think so, so maybe I'll look for that somewhere as I do like Fred Astaire.

6:46 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath: yeah it was cute! makes me wish I had a daddy long legs! lol

1:45 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Yes yes yes...as I just told you I'm dying to read this one :) Glad you enjoyed it! I'll have to check out the film if I can find it...I've never seen it!

4:15 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

I never read the book, but I've seen the film quite a few times--And it is Charming! (Turner Classic Movies plys it quite often...) I love that MGM adapted it to fit Fred Astaire and Leslie Caron talents, making it a Musical---and making them the perfect "dancing" couple...!
I always thought Leslie Caron was the perfect cassting, too, because as a French girl from an orphanage, you believed her 'youngness' in a way you might not have if she had been American....

8:36 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

chris it's good for a quick read and you find yourself smiling.

Naomi I haven't seen this movie in ages! I'll have to keep a closer watch on TCM!

6:24 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

I really need to pull this one off the shelf and read it. You know, after I finish the three dozen I have started.
:(

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home