My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

If at First You Don't Succeed

Ok..so the story goes like this.  Last year mama and papa Moorhen had a gazillion babies.  Strangely they let them stay at the pond to help each generation after the first..  Before we knew it we had Moorhens up the ying yang..but mama and papa were happy.  They all stayed thru "winter".

Spring came and one day it seems as if all the Moorhens have left! Then I spot 2 or 3 still here, but the original Moorhens were gone. I believe this pair is from their offspring.

About 5 weeks ago they had their first brood of 3.  For whatever reasons mama Moorhen wound up killing the babies. It was a sad day at the pond.

Low and behold she has come forth with a second batch of 3 babies!  So far she is acting just fine with them so we have our fingers crossed that this batch makes it.

Here are the first pictures I've taken of the babies.....

 

 

Meet Moe, Larry, and Curly! (Right now they all look like curly with barely a hair on their  heads!)

8 Comments:

Blogger animewookie said...

Ha! They are really bald. Lets hope she takes a liking to this batch :D They're so cute, how could she not.

7:54 AM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

Those are so cute, in a dorky sort of way, that you just want to pick them up and cuddle them. There's just something about babies, even the ones that are beautiful only in their parents' eyes, that make you want to hold them.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

She killed the first brood? Wow. Nature can be cruel sometimes but there must have been a reason she did that. The second lot are very cute. Well, I'm sure somebody must think so...

10:08 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

yeah, I hope so too Kelly!

Carl: they do make one smile..I think it's those little red bald heads that do it lol

Cath: yes she did. Not unheard of.. some dogs and cats do that too.. so I am crossing my fingers but the hawks have been getting the baby ducks (only one left) so even if she's good to them they could still disappear

10:45 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

Tom cats (and all cats in the wild, and bears, too) kill the young.

how did she kill them ??

10:51 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Pam she chased them and kept pecking at their heads..it was sad.

11:53 AM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

Such Sweet Sweet pictures, Pat. That last one is priceless! They look so very vulnerable in all their duzziness.....! I prsy their Momma keeps on nurturing them.

8:25 AM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

"FUZZINESS"....OY!

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home